Dwarf Puffer in Austin, TX area? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dwarf Puffer in Austin, TX area?

I decided I wanted a single dwarf puffer for my 5 gallon planted tank, but I can't find ANY for sale in the Austin, TX area. I've checked all the LFS I can think of. Aquatek, River City, Aqua-Dome, Gallery of Pets, Fish Gallery, etc.

From what I've read they are supposed to be common and affordable ($4 range) but I haven't had any luck.

Has anyone found any recently in this area? I'd rather not resort to ordering online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (74/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarskull View Post
I decided I wanted a single dwarf puffer for my 5 gallon planted tank, but I can't find ANY for sale in the Austin, TX area. I've checked all the LFS I can think of. Aquatek, River City, Aqua-Dome, Gallery of Pets, Fish Gallery, etc.

From what I've read they are supposed to be common and affordable ($4 range) but I haven't had any luck.

Has anyone found any recently in this area? I'd rather not resort to ordering online.
All the stores you listed carries from usually ~$5-$6 each. I think they all order from the same supplier and it's short so that's why you haven't seen any around.

3 weeks ago Fish Gallery had a ton of them for $10 each.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Algae Grower

Yep, those guys are all wild-caught and only in the dry season, so if the wholesaler is out then there won't be more until they catch them again. The monsoon just ended in India so more should start coming in soon.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. Are captive bred Dwarf Puffers not sold generally? I thought they were becoming threatened in the wild.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

Nope. Captive breeding is extremely rare with these species...pretty much every one you see is wild caught. They're not particularly rare in the wild...I saw red-eyed puffers all over the place in Thailand, although population sizes vary with species. But habitat loss is a far FAR bigger threat than collection, and collecting usually contributes to the income of the people living in these regions while also providing economic incentive to preserve these habitats. The same cannot be said for other natural resources such as oil, hardwoods, or hydroelectric projects.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info, Cara. Well, River City Aquatics got some dwarf puffers in yesterday, but they were all sold out by the time I got there! Doh!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (74/100%)
Check Aquatek. I just got some from there for $6. They still had 10 since this morning.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03yYunG View Post
Check Aquatek. I just got some from there for $6. They still had 10 since this morning.
Thanks for the heads up! I was able to get one at Aquatek today. Cute little booger!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode