Anything cool in Georgetown happening soon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anything cool in Georgetown happening soon?

Does anyone know of any events that are going to happen in Georgetown or maybe Austin? I'm more looking for ways to locate odd fish and slightly more unusual plants like water sprite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
Water sprite's one of the easier plants to find; try Aquatek, they should have some coming in today. What type of 'less common' fish are you looking for?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm looking for spotted headstanders, more unusual pencilfish like equus (or however you spell that), some of the unusual small plecos, and zebra ottos. I know I can get those online, I just prefer not to order things because it seems like our weather is almost always very hot or cold, plus shipping is pretty expensive. I know about Aquadome and Aquatek, both of which are my go-to places for most fish, and I've scoped out that Fish Gallery place that just opened (very ethical place, don't sell any of the no-nos like pacus, friendly staff, not much selection since they just opened but a promising place). I'm kind of poking around for more places, just out of curiosity and a desire for even more variety in my fish stores.
I'm also curious if there's any sort of fish-related event to go to just to look around and maybe pick up something cool. I know there are reptile shows and orchid shows, is there anything like that for fish? I don't mean like a dog-show type thing, I mean something where various vendors bring critters and plants to sell.

Last edited by Betta132; 12-21-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Clarifying a thing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
Headstanders seem to come in seasonally (probably because they're entirely wild-caught), so ask to be put on the special order lists at Aquadome and Aquatek as they may only arrive every few months (i think Aquatek had one of the medium-sized species recently). Nannostomus equus aren't rare, but they aren't popular so places rarely order them...try requesting them or the special order list again, they're usually available but just not ordered. Aquatek has some Nannostomus espei right now--super cool little pencilfish and one of the peaceful ones, unlike a lot of pencilfish--but the wholesalers have really jacked up the prices in the last year or two and it shows on the retail price end.

As far as events, there's not much for a while. Hill Country Cichlid Club meets regularly often for swaps/auctions, NADA is holding its 2014 national convention in Austin in August, and i think there's some anabantoid/betta meeting that's happening locally in central Texas this year. There's a calendar of listed events in this section, you should check there.

NADA will need volunteers for the conference, that could be a fun fish event to be involved with.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've actually asked Aquatek to call me next time they get spotted headstanders in. I called them a little while ago and they had one equus left, so I guess those sell out fast, I'll be sure to special-order some later. Maybe when it warms back up... I was told that most pencils aren't really in season right now.
Wait, pencilfish usually aren't considered peaceful? I never knew that. My Beckford's pencils chase and show-fight a lot, but it's just them being feisty, I never saw it as aggression. There's a couple of dwarf pencils in there and they don't seem bothered... Huh.
I'm not particularly interested in cichlids or discus at the moment, but the anabantoid thing could be interesting. I'll have to look that up... Thanks. Do you know the name, by any chance?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode