The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Two Part Cycle?
Thread: Two Part Cycle?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Soxfandowd
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two Part Cycle?

So Hurrah for the DPG sale starting this weekend! I will be picking up my 40B on Sun. My Eheim G90(2037), Hydor in-line heater, Controller, Satellite+ Pro and plant tabs will be here by Thursday and I'm itching to get started.

I currently have an established 10G with some extra media in the HOB filter, and a sponge filter in it. I also have extra plants in there that I'm planning to use in the 40.

I have boiled my driftwood to release the tannins and get it waterlogged. I have decided to use Activflora as the substrate.

My thoughts were to set everything up, plant it heavily, and just leave it be for a week or so to let everything settle. Test my water, add Safe Start, follow up with Stability for the week. Test water daily and as long as there is no ammonia or nitrates to stock the tank.

I will be using the extra media and the sponge filter(at least til the new filter is established).

My parameters out of the tap are: PH 7.2, KH 71.6, GH 35.8, NH3/NH4 0ppm, NO2-0ppm, NO3- 0ppm.

When I first set up my 10G I just added Safe Start and then added fish the next day without testing. (I didn't know any better) But everyone lived except one neon that didn't look right straight out of the bag.

So what do you think???

Sorry about the novella!!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome