The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Changed Substrate. Ammonia rising, what to do?
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
quiquik
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm about to change out my substrate also and have done so once in the past. Went from gravel to pool filter sand and now to black diamond blasting sand. When I changed to pool filter sand I took everything out of the tank, put my fish in a tub with my filters ( 2 hob's) and heater rescaped the tank put all new water in with declorinator and put the fish back in. Did not even check parameters, fish were fine. But, when I do this again I will add the old water from the tub and top off with new instead of all new water. My filters are also established with bb. I will also check parameters this time and have switched over to using prime for my declorinator. I read that if you could put some old substrate in a nylon mesh bag or something like that and let it hang in the tank it also helps. The substrate holds quite a bit of bacteria. I don't think that your parameters will get any worse, maybe feed lighter than normal until bb establishes in the rest of the tank.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome