Travelling to Pigeon Forge, LFS suggestions along the way? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Travelling to Pigeon Forge, LFS suggestions along the way?

I'll be travelling from Bham, AL to Pigeon Forge, TN in 2 weeks. Are there any LFS that are close to the interstate, either in Chattanooga (I-24) or Knoxville (I-40), that ya'll would suggest I check out on the way home? I'm specifically looking for some Apistos, Ember tetras, Rummynose tetras and various types of Cories. All these should be common here, but they aren't. FYI I usually shop for fish locally at Petsmart and a small, overpriced, nasty fish store...most of my fish are bought online (you can see why).

Any suggestions?

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm posting to my own thread......

I'm probably going to visit LFS in the Chattanooga area instead of Knoxville (closer to home).

Does anyone know of a LFS around Chattanooga that carries Apistos?

Thanks.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
In Knoxville: The Aquarium and Fins 'N Skins are, sadly, the best Knoxville has to offer. Typically good selection of fish at both and some good plants, but prices vary from fairly expensive to truly outrageous on most things.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
Hey,
I would add agrifeed to the list
http://www.agrifeedpetsupply.com/
They sometimes have different selection than either
the aquarium or fins and skins....

Cheers,
Batch
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions!

I am home from the trip now. I had planned to stop in Chattanooga on the way home, but was suprised that they are an hour ahead of the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, so I didn't make it before they closed. Silly me didn't do enough research before planning my stop.

I didn't stop in Knoxville because I was afraid of the longer trip home with fish (about 4 hours).

Its a bummer, but that just means I'll have to order some fish online.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:30 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Time Zones

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge are both in Eastern time zone with Chattanooga. The time zone to Central which would be an hour behind not ahead is just on the other side (west) of Chatanooga. Hence if you were in Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge area and it was five eastern time it would be the same in Chattanooga. When you cross into central just west of Chattanooga you gain an hour. Eastern time before crossing being 5:00 then when you cross into central it would be 4:00. I go to South Pitsburg sometime to shop and I have an hour more time to shop than if I were in Chattanooga. So I do not know if you just made a mistake in your message or I am just not understanding it. I am a NANFA member "North American Native Fish Association" and I have transported fish for over 18 hours by automobile. I use an inverter plugged into my cigarette lighter which produces 120 volts just like home and the fish have a constant air supply with the air pumps I plug into the inverter. I have never done tropicals but I do not see why they could not be transported the same way. I also disolve some bag buddies in the transport water. This stuff sedates the fish mildly for the ride so they are not stressed. I have shipped fish and they take three days to get to their destination with no casualties. A ride in the car for a few hours even just in the stores bag I think would be alright. I use Kordon Breather bags for transport. Shipping by USPS. I get their free box that you can stuff anything in no matter the weight and it only cost eight dollars. You squeeze every bit of air out of the bags. The bags let O2 out and take in Oxygen. And I have those bag buddies in the water before I fill the bags. I then line the box with styrofoam and put an inner bag. (garbage bag) then I stuff news paper around the breather bags so they can have air around them. Also this is the procedure that the Postal service says you have to use. The styrofoam then the inner layer then the bags of fish then the newspaper enough to absorb the liquid in case of a rupture. Works great like I said I have shipped fish as far as from Chattanooga to Washington State without a casualty.

Last edited by nativecajun; 06-06-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Add content
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

Welcome to the forum, fellow Tennessean. Diggin up old threads ? You'll fit right in!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the lesson? Chattanooga was an hour ahead of wherever I was at the point that I realized I wouldn't make it. I had probably left Pidgeon Forge by then....

I have shipped fish before as well, but I didn't have any bags to take with me. I guess the ones from a LFS would have been fine, but I was thinking more along the lines of temperature changes and ammonia levels in the bag rising. I always fast fish before shipping.

*Kristin*
38g Reef tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode