Mid-South Aquarium Society? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mid-South Aquarium Society?

Does this still exist? I see a blurb about it in archives here and there but every link I try send me to a now defunct Geocities page. Anyone know anything about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
hmm... let me dig up some emails...

I don't think that one is still around... but this might help you out some.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MemphisAquariumHobbyists/

posts have gotten a bit slim lately, but I expect it's still functioning. I'm in Jonesboro, AR, about 45 minutes from memphis. If I knew of a group that was *meeting* regularly for fish / plant trades and discussions, I'd be all over it. Let me know what you turn up about groups in the area. Glad to see another Mid-Southerner on the board.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank Oqsy! I'll let you know if I hear of anything!

mm

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Algae Grower

I'm a student at Rhodes for one more year... displaced from Houston, TX where I have a gorgeous LFS I've used for over half my life. I also was disillusionsed to find that the Mid-South Aquarium Society is now defunct. If a revival takes place then you can count me in, but I'm afraid I don't have much to swap except some Java Ferns and a few Anubias Nanas.

Brent
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone else out there interested in this? If we had a few more people we could get something started. At least meet and swap stuff and talk until someone wants to spear-head making it an official group.

Brent, I'm sure you've found the only fish store I know of in the Memphis area, Bob's Tropicals on Stage Road? I think we could put the word out over there and see what we come up with.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Bob's is the best in the area, and has been as long as I've known about it. I used to go to Kermit's Reef sometimes until they shut down their FW tanks. I love the idea of meeting up and starting something that meets regularly, and would definitely set aside a few things to trade with other people from the area. Right now I have some african butterfly cichlids (a. thomasi) that are breeding in my 29 gallon community tank. The next batch of fry is going to go in a breeder net (the last bunch were eaten as I suspected would happen). As soon as they grow to a decent size I'd gladly share them with anyone local that's interested. I also have plenty of fun plants that I prune pretty regularly. (ludwigia brevipes, ludwigia palustris, xmas moss, mini moss, bronze wendtii crypts, chain swords, hydrocotyle verticillata, micranthemum micranthemoides, bacopa, lysimachia nummularia, among others. On top of that there's a pile of driftwood in my garage that came from a local lake that's very similar to the stuff I have in my 29 gallon (pictured in the photo album). It's been cleaned thoroughly and usually sinks within a week or two of being weighted down. I'm pretty busy right now, but if nothing happens between now and the new year, I'll volunteer to try to put something together by jan./feb. of '06. Any other locals to N.E. AR, S.E. MO, S.W. KY, N.W. MS, or W. TN out there? If so please chime in so we can keep tabs on you when anything comes up.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Opsy, I'm willing to help if you get something going in January/February.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with whoever started the Mid-South Aquarium Society? Maybe we could restart it or at least use that person/people as a wealth of info?

I may have a few people who would be interested in being a part of it if we meet close to Memphis (including a biology teacher who takes care of the tanks at his school.)
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So whatcha think Oqsy? Y already to get something started around these parts? I think I still need plants for my 46g though I got a sweet RAOK from a member here.

Do you have a LFS in Jonesboro? Is it worth me driving over there from here? If you read my post yesterday you'll see my hubby was less than pleased about me shelling out $60 for fish at Bob's. I wonder if it would be worth a road trip to come over there?

Dawn
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

well, i'd say no to the road trip unless you have a specific fish in mind. as far as plants, I've always had more trimmings in my tanks than any of the LFS have in stock for sale. In fact, I supply one of the stores with about 60-75% of their plants. As for the meeting, we've been in contact via PM, and I think we've got a good plan for something on Feb. 18th. Anyone else here that's in the mid-south (west tennessee, east arkansas, northwest mississippi, or west kentucky) and can get to memphis on the 18th, pm myself or mississippimorning for info (expect a more detailed post soon).

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still working on a "cool" place to meet. I know there are resturants in the area that will accomodate. Can we get a head count thus far?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

i'm in... i don't know anyone else in the area personally or I'd start recruiting right now.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry I'm not much for web forums, but I'm still around. Unfortunately I'm going be home in Texas from the 17th to the 20th, otherwise I'd be in.

I have a pretty wide variety of South American plants, but very little growth thus far... other than a beard algae outbreak I accidentally transferred from a 5gal experiment tank. I think I've finally solved most of my problems with a new bulb, DIY CO2, and a few SAEs I just got in. It's just a waiting game now.

I do have some plants I need to get rid of, but I don't know what kind of shape they're in. I have a ton of medium-sized swords and a ton of microsword grass (which came in at about 5" tall!). I'm out of room to keep them so they've just been in rubbermaid tubs since I hate to throw out plants.

I know this is fairly common stuff, but if you're interested in them let me know. I also may have some apistogramma borellii fry. I've had several batches thus far, but haven't made any attempts to remove and raise them. Obviously I'll be making an effort soon.

As for stores, you guys should look in to Hollywood Pet Star on Broad St. I don't think Bob's is that much better. They don't have a plant-only tank like Bob's so it's hard for me to compare the selection.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 03:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the info, brent. any progress, mississippi? i'll be bringing your piece of driftwood, plus a fair-sized bunch of *very* red ludwigia repens, and a small chunk of drifwood with 3 recently trimmed anubias nana attached to it. probably 10-12 leaves total. there's also some lysimachia (not a lot, but plenty to start a nice stand), a fair amount of bacopa (moneywort), and a few clumps of chain sword. Oh, I'll also be bringing some smaller pieces of driftwood (all straight "logs") for anyone else who is interested.

Let me know what I can do to help! I am about to go to all the other sites where I'm a member and see if anyone is interested. I think we should probably exchange phone numbers, or at least email addresses to help coordinate things in the coming week.

brent: i'd LOVE some borelli fry if you have some any time soon. I hope you can make it next time.

I have krib fry that aren't quite ready to leave home that I plan to bring to a future meeting, with the exception of a single male from a previous brood that is bugging the crap out of his breeding parents. I hate to bring him alone if I don't know of anyone who wants him. I *might* bring some young adult african butterfly cichlids, a. thomasi (about 3 I think.. I have 5, and if I can sex a pair, the others will go) that I think are a bit too much for my current setup. anyone that will come and is interested in them, please let me know so I can make plans for transporting them to the meeting and staying warm in my car for the few hours beforehand (i have a business meeting beforehand in memphis, and want to be sure everything I bring can survive). OH! I also have a 29g tank, a 20H (with stand), and filters that I will bring to anyone that wants them for a good price. the 20H is painted black on the back, the 29 is bare, if I remember correctly. Both are leak free, in good shape (light scratches, nothing serious), and are AGA with clear silicone and black rims.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry I have been out-of-pocket the past few days. The flu has hit our household with a vengence. I haven't done anymore work on the meeting bc I have been in bed and nursing my sick youngins. I wil make a few calls this morning to followup on that cool place I mentioned and if that falls through, I'll settle for a resturant. I did contact the library system last week and was one day shy of the required 10-Day notices. It is free for non-profits though so that is a possibility in the future. I do have a few friends interested in coming but none have committed yet. OQSY, I'll PM you with my email and phone numbers. Brent, I hate you are going to miss this one but have a great trip and look forwrd to meeting you in the future. If you have some stuff you wanna get rid of before you leave, I'll be glad to meet you somewhere and take whatever you have to the meeting.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

On a recommendation of a friend, I have made a reservation at the Pig-N-Whistle in Bartlett. This is not too far from Bob's for those of us wanting to make a stop after our meeting. I have posted the address below as well as a link to the map on the webpage. There is also a menu on the webpage for those wanting to scout it ahead of time. I made the reservation for 10, for separate checks and we have the back room all to ourselves. Come on out and join us! But please post here or PM Osqy or myself so we can get a headcount. Thanks!

Saturday, February 18th
2:00 p.m.
Pig-N-Whistle
2740 Bartlett Blvd.
Bartlett, TN

http://www.pig-n-whistle.com/location_bartlett.asp#map

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode