The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Need help with numbers and stuff!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Chris with fish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with numbers and stuff!

I am very new to this and I am unsure if I am on the right track, or if I am completely screwed...

My tank has been cycling since 28 February (36 Gallon). I think I got impatient and thought it was done, even though I only had a cheep strip style test kit and the guy at Petsmart (I know, but it's so close to my house....) said my water was fine when I brought a sample. I started out with a few plants and just in the last week added a few more. I have a few tetras and some cory cats as well in the tank. I bought a decent test kit today and tested my water. The results are as follows and are very close estimates as I am no chemist... PH 6.4, Ammonia between .5 and 1.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate between 20 and 40 ppm.

I also have what I think is a bacterial bloom which seems to be going away. This makes me think my tank wasn't done cycling when I added plants and fish although I read that if I am adding plants it doesn't matter... is this true?

Lastly, I noticed today that the tips of my Vals that are near the light have bright green hairs fluttering around on them. I am guessing this is algae. I cut it out and I plan on doing a water change tonight. Anything else I should do to prevent an outbreak?

I know these types of questions are probably asked and answered a lot so I appreciate any responses. I just want to know if these are normal things that will pass or am I doing this all wrong?

-Chris

Amateur Aquarium Owner
Beginner Planted Tank Owner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome