The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mizu's 40BDR Low Tech Journal

6K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  mizu-chan 
#1 ·
So here it is guys! My next tank journal, and it's twice as big! This is in fact my sisters tank. She decided that she wanted to get a bigger tank after I let her play around with my old 10 gallon, and has great success. She is buying everything, and is providing funds for plants, equipment, ect..; but I am scaping and maintaining the majority of the tank (while trying to inform her on what to do). It's going to be a really fun project for the both of us, and I'm excited to see how this tank will evolve within the next few months.

Here is a FTS after we first set it up, and then a few shots after we got plants in.

Yes, that is a butt load of Java fern. And in the third picture you can see the amazing piece of Anubias(3) he sent me as well. I can already tell we're going to have fun tying down all the java fern. :icon_roll Most people actually don't like the look of normal java fern, but it has always looked nice to me so I'm really happy with it. We are going to add at least one more piece of DW to the hard scape as well as a rock scape near the DW. Not sure what kind of stem we're going to put in yet, and I thinkshe will be wanting some kind of foreground plant as well. I'm leaning towards moss.

Here are the specs:
Standard 40BDR
Coralife T5, 2X21 Watt, 36 inch
Eheim 2213
HOB Filter (for 20g)
Eheim 150W Heater

Substrate:
Play sand
Shultz Aquatic Soil

Fauna:
(1)Male Betta
(1)Orange Sword Tail
(1)Zebra Danio
(1)Otto
(3)Amano Shrimp

Flora:
Java Moss
Java Fern
Ludwigia Repens
Giant Hairgrass
Moneywort
Taiwan Moss
Petite Nana

As for the Fauna we are taking out everything but the male betta, otto, and shrimp. My sister wants to have a school of smaller fish that are colorful. I've suggested Cardinals but she thinks they are over used. I've been researching and haven't been able to really impress her with anything, so if you guys have any ideas, I mean anything, please LMK. Also if you have any suggestions on the scape feel free to tell me. I'm kind of just winging it right now. Going with what I think looks good, but I know you guys have a lot of useful advice for me right? :hihi:

Comments and criticisms welcome. :)

See less See more
#13 ·
Yeah me too. I actually have never been a fan of having a closed top.

Hehehe, I heard today how you got that DW :hihi:

Looks really nice. There's always microrasboras.
Haha, yes. Dan knew exactly what I wanted. :)
She doesn't want something expensive, and the micros here are pretty pricey.

Wow, thats awesome! It will be exciting to watch it progress.

I'm loving all that Java Fern, where did you get it?

What about male guppies? Small and colorful... They kinda group together. :-/
Got if from a another member here for a killer deal. My sister doesn't want guppies. She already saw me go through that phase. :icon_roll

dude, that entire blob on the right is java fern? HOLY CRAP. lol if you put that behing the DW on the left it'll look awesome!
Yeah, it's ALL Java Fern. I'm going to get some rocks to tie the rest of it on, and then I'll place it towards the back. Just tying down a lot to the wood yesterday took around an hour and a half. It's going to take me all week to see how I really want it.

Can't wait to see this thing whip into shape!
The two contrasting substrates look really cool. I also really like the slim profile of those Coralife T5's. I have not seen too many people using them, but they seem really affordable and they look pretty bright here!
Yeah, I actually really like the T5's. It's perfect for this tank.

how about a huge school of microrasboras? maybe like 40 merah? THATS a school
Only if you buy them for me! ;)

Thats CRAZY. That is a huge mass of java fern. Are you going to actually use it all?
I don't think there is a way for me to use it all. It's seriously just a huge butt load. So if any one needs some... send me a PM! :flick:

Well, she's got like 50 green neons in her 20L, so she could probably fit at least 80 merah, no? :hihi:
Hey now. lol.
I actually might move like 20 of them into the tank once I get around to it.

Congrats,
I love 40br tanks and your style- I expect great things. This is gonna be good. My daughter and I will definitely be checking in!
Thanks a lot! It's going to be a challenge and take some time, but I hope I can live up to my other tank. :)

Congrats,
Great tank! love the wood!! :)
Thanks!

Hm looking forward to what you do with it this time... *COUGHCOUGH**FERN SPAM**COUGHCOUGH*
lol! Right? SO MUCH FERN! Need some? :)

#31 ·
You and your planning ideas. Never ending huh? :D
She seems tot he like the chocolate gouramis a lot so we will see.

Nice start:thumbsup:
I really like the footprint on a 40g breeder too, so much in fact I've been tempted to setup another one.

How about a school of Harlequin Rasboras? Colorful, school well, ect.
We both love harlies but I've already had them once. I'm still trying to convince her because I really love them, and in my opinion they are great schoolers.

I know you already have green neons. A school of greens would great here but if you want a different schooling fish maybe some gold tetras. They are seldom used.They would shimmer like little pieces of tin foil in the water. There is one strain of gold tetras that have a blue line that runs along the top.
I suggested those and she said maybe. I actually fell in love with them. They are such nice fish. :) If I ever set up another tank that's my own I am seriously going to get some.

Lookn' good there
Thanks!

get some asian rummies.. But the sand really screams for some kuhli loaches
Asian Rummies! You win. She LOVES these. And she said that if we can find a pretty decent price then she'll get them. I personally like them alright, color is a litlle weird for me. As for kuhli loaches. Ahhh, I love the little guys and so does she. We just have to keep a look out for a good deal.

I say 1 1/2 discus with some piranahs maybe a freshwater stingray/shark. SA style. I really dig that one stem of l. Repens.

On a serious note, I suggest a puffer cus they're so small and hover like hoovercrafts from the jettsons.jootube dem and you will see
No. No. No. :D
How about this. Go into your room, grab that bag of money, drive to my house, put in on my door step, fall down the stairs. Okay? I'll be waiting! ;)

Very nice start. :icon_smil
Thank you! Only time will tell how this will work out. lol.

looking good..update please..:hihi:
I'll post my update later tonight after cooking/homework/cleaning up is done. :D

Pedro (milalic) from Invertz Factory just posted recently about how they have Hengel's rasboras for sale. I think they would be awesome in your tank! They school real tight, and that little streak of orangey-yellow looks SWEET when schooling around. That's my suggestion...
Looked them up and I really like the look of them. Another thing I have to show her tonight. I love how they look in a group.

A small tight school is nicer when there's something in the tank to make 'em twitch once in a while. That tank is begging for an Apistogramma couple. I bet they'd spwan like crazy in there. They'd keep your schooling fish in a tight group, while walking the fine line of "community fish". When my male comes out in the open, he does it with such a quick dramatic flare- all the little fish jump into tight formation, and the moment usually ends with the Apisto flaring his dorsal fins. It's a beautiful sight, that I never tire of. There's something special to the way Apistos jet around and stop on a dime and freeze motionless for several minutes. They are so entertaining to watch, convey a sense of intelligence, grace, and really class up a tank, IMO. You'd have to get that male betta outta there, though! Go for a triple red- best fish I own. I used to breed them a few years ago (not anymore). I know a good source for 'em if you need help finding a quality pair.
That is a beautiful fish. I suggested a pair of Rams and she said no. I'm going to show her this picture tonight and see what she thinks. I think they are absolutely gorgeous.

Looks good. I really like how you sorted the plants out. awesome!
lol, thanks! Really organized right? :hihi:

#16 ·
I really like the footprint on a 40g breeder too, so much in fact I've been tempted to setup another one.

#22 ·

I agree, harlequins would be really nice and affordable. They are only $1.99 each at Petsmart with a 14 day guarantee. I just got three very nice looking ones last week. Compare stores though as some have nicer looking stock than others.

#17 ·
I know you already have green neons. A school of greens would great here but if you want a different schooling fish maybe some gold tetras. They are seldom used.They would shimmer like little pieces of tin foil in the water. There is one strain of gold tetras that have a blue line that runs along the top.

#28 ·
Pedro (milalic) from Invertz Factory just posted recently about how they have Hengel's rasboras for sale. I think they would be awesome in your tank! They school real tight, and that little streak of orangey-yellow looks SWEET when schooling around. That's my suggestion...

#29 ·
A small tight school is nicer when there's something in the tank to make 'em twitch once in a while. That tank is begging for an Apistogramma couple. I bet they'd spwan like crazy in there. They'd keep your schooling fish in a tight group, while walking the fine line of "community fish". When my male comes out in the open, he does it with such a quick dramatic flare- all the little fish jump into tight formation, and the moment usually ends with the Apisto flaring his dorsal fins. It's a beautiful sight, that I never tire of. There's something special to the way Apistos jet around and stop on a dime and freeze motionless for several minutes. They are so entertaining to watch, convey a sense of intelligence, grace, and really class up a tank, IMO. You'd have to get that male betta outta there, though! Go for a triple red- best fish I own. I used to breed them a few years ago (not anymore). I know a good source for 'em if you need help finding a quality pair.

#33 ·
So tied some plants down. This tank has been giving me big headaches. First off I never noticed how horrible the water marks on it were. I can't get them off. And they are on the inside and outside. It makes me mad every time I look at the tank. It's just this huge white line that goes across the tank. And for me, when the glass isn't clean, it takes away from the entire tank. I really am contemplating tearing it down and buying a new tank. Sounds ridiculous, but I'm dead serious. Also I definitely need to get one more branchy piece of wood, then I'm adding rock. My plan it to take big rock and cover them with x mas, taiwan, and java. Each will be placed somewhere around the huge DW. I really want this tank to look more natural than anything else. That's all I have for right now. Update again later.

#38 ·
it looks like a real pond. especially how the plants are all huddled together and then just stop. natural eutrophic ponds look just like that as you pass the photic zone.
I was thinking the same thing. I also think you wouldn't need a full length (36") fixture for this particular tank. I wonder how it would look if it had a pendant hanging over the just the planted island- letting the light fade to the open areas. Either way- it's already promising to be even more beautiful than the 20L, and that's saying a lot.

:thumbsup:
have u tried draining the tank partially and using vinegar w/ a razor blade?
Thanks guys! All of your kind words mean a lot! Working with a bigger tank is so hard! You have so much room that you just don't know what to do with. But I'm trying my best.
youareafever - Haven't tried that yet, but I'll give it a shot when I do my next WC. :D

Ok so I added about 20 of my Green Neon's into the tank. They seem to like the space. I also got 20 of the Sawbwa Resplendens! (Asian Rummy Nose) They have yet to color up for me, but I think they just need tome to adjust. Also I think they are still quite young. They are only hanging out at the back right now, but I managed to get a crummy picture of them. lol.

And I also played around with the lighting. Added a CFL clip on lamp to the right side of the tank to balance out the white light. It really brought a lot of color to the plants. Of course my camera acted up and added a bunch of contrast. Still looks okay though.

I'll update again after thanksgiving break. :)

#36 · (Edited)
I was thinking the same thing. I also think you wouldn't need a full length (36") fixture for this particular tank. I wonder how it would look if it had a pendant hanging over the just the planted island- letting the light fade to the open areas. Either way- it's already promising to be even more beautiful than the 20L, and that's saying a lot.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.