That fish place question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
That fish place question

I am going to be scaping a new tank and am looking for sourcing hardscaping supplies. Has anyone had good luck with TFP in Lancaster? Seems to be the largest fish store in the area. It would be about a 45 min drive so I want to make sure it be worth my time. do they have a good selection of Reasonably priced various scaping supplies or should I just buy online? My local petco has a very limited stock. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smothered_in_tartar View Post
I am going to be scaping a new tank and am looking for sourcing hardscaping supplies. Has anyone had good luck with TFP in Lancaster? Seems to be the largest fish store in the area. It would be about a 45 min drive so I want to make sure it be worth my time. do they have a good selection of Reasonably priced various scaping supplies or should I just buy online? My local petco has a very limited stock. Thanks
Haven't been there, but a google search turned up some videos. Here is one from a couple years ago. Your question I think gets answered around 3 minutes and 35 seconds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:55 PM

They usually have a pretty good variety which the video above shows. As for price, I don't have a clue. Their website might give you that answer.

As far as the store goes, I think it's worth the trip. It's been a few years since I've been there but their plant room was pretty solid and fish selection had good variety. I used to cruise out there(about 1 1/2hrs for me) once or twice a year just for fun and see what they had.

Good luck if you decide to make the trek!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I used to go to Pittsburgh semi frequently and always tried to make time on the way home to stop there. Its well worth it.

RAOK Club #55
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Man I wish we had something even close to that store here in north Georgia . We have some decent LFS , but nothing on that scale .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

I live an hour away and usually stop in when I go to Lancaster (maybe three times a year). All the times I was there, they had several bins of driftwood and rock. Each of the bins is around 3-ft by 4-ft, and they looked semi-permanent. It's usually the Malaysian driftwood that interests me most, and I've always found something.

The plant room is nice, but I've been there a couple of times when they were very low on the low-light stock. Other times, they had plenty. If plants are a priority for your visit, I'd suggest calling them before you make the trip.

As much equipment as they have, they didn't carry a few specific things I was hoping for. Check the website beforehand if you're hoping for a certain piece of equipment. But if you're flexible, I'd be surprised if they don't have a good alternative. Again, though, it's not uncommon to see things sold out.

Aquarium #1 - 10 gallon | one male betta | anubias, java fern, crypt | standard gravel | full-spectrum T8 | sponge filter | 50W heater at 77
Aquarium #2 - 5.5 gallon | one male betta | anubias, java fern | standard gravel | full-spectrum T8 | sponge filter | 25W heater at 77

Last edited by VinceIII; 03-13-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Used to go there quite often many years ago when I started my first reef tank. The saltwater selection really seemed to go downhill 5 or 6 years ago, both the stock and the husbandry of the livestock, and I pretty much stopped going. If you've never been, it's worth a trip just for the scale of the facility, but I don't find it to be much of anything special anymore. Granted it has now been a couple years since I've been there, so maybe they turned it back around.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I haven't bought from this company for many years, but when I started in fish-keeping 30 years ago, it was the one place I could order fish-keeping supplies from by catalogue.
Obviously, this was before the internet, so the companies that I would hear about that were not local were found by looking through the pages of Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine.
I would be so excited to get all the catalogues from vendors I found listed there.

I haven't bought from them since, I dont know, maybe the early 2000's-- but, they sure have been going strong for many years. Good to see there are some family owned aquarium stores that are. Assuming they are still family owned, the might not be.

Amy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
They have a great amount of hard scaping rocks by the bin. Average is about $3/lb. I got back into the hobby and ended up blowing 100 bucks on hardscape hehe. Tanks still in progress but attached is some rocks i got from them. Their plant section is hit or miss...90 percent of the time miss...but they do have a nice selection on plant cultures. Other than that decent fish selection and great pricing on supplies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200426_214635_1588091467703.jpg (189.7 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode