• 1 Post By moonwasaloon
  • 1 Post By Rush3737
  • 1 Post By iWoodsman
  • 1 Post By moonwasaloon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Philly area stores good for planted tanks?

I like Reef to Rift for aquarium supplies and creatures, lovely store, and they stock quite a few plants, but they donít carry much in the way of high-end plant supplies and gear, especially CO2 paraphernalia, and I have to go online.
Is there any place in SE PA or nearby Jersey that is big enough to stock niche products? More so than World Wide and the chains?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
29G Aqueon glass tank, Aqueon QuietFlow 20, Finnex 24/7 Planted+ CC light, Finnex HMA-200S heater, Citric/Soda coke bottle CO2 reactor, small Koralia wave pump, PPS-Pro with GLA ferts and SeaChem Flourish root tabs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Good Morning Woodsman,

There are two stores that you can visit

1) The aquarium center 1468 Blackwood Clementon Rd, Clementon, NJ 0802 : Probably the best local fish store

2) The Hidden Reef : 4501 New Falls Rd, Levittown, PA 19056 : Their selection varies a lot, so you never know what you will find when you go there, but a much bigger store then Reef to Rift
iWoodsman likes this.

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've only been to Reef to Rift once, and thought it was an awesome store and I look forward to visiting again in the future. That said, to your point, the only thing I actually needed when I stopped in was a decent CO2 check valve and they did not have anything along those lines.
iWoodsman likes this.

NEW 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Check valves are weirdly difficult to succeed with, given that they are so small with such a simple function. I have always had to cast about on Amazon and nothing I find ever works as it should for any reasonable length of time. Plastic, stainless, brass, for some reason they all leak gas or they all clog or they fail to actually check flow. Iím currently running without one, and Iím staring at spending about $40 for three tiny parts (from Clippard) with shipping to build myself a brass one that some people have had luck with.

29G Aqueon glass tank, Aqueon QuietFlow 20, Finnex 24/7 Planted+ CC light, Finnex HMA-200S heater, Citric/Soda coke bottle CO2 reactor, small Koralia wave pump, PPS-Pro with GLA ferts and SeaChem Flourish root tabs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went to The Aquarium Store yesterday, and they were better stocked than R to R, but I didn't find, for instance, a number of options for CO2 diffusers/reactors, or midrange planting lights, although they stocked high-end Kessel etc. Their plant selection was less varied than R to R. Their tropical fish and inverts were fantastically varied, and really well-priced. And they actively solicit your excess fish for consignment, and I happen to have a runaway tank of platys.
Best of all, there was a remarkably good BBQ joint down the road. All in all a good expedition from Philly, so thank you very much! I will hit The Hidden Reef next.
Discusluv likes this.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hidden Reef

I visited The Hidden Reef yesterday, and that place is enormous. They had almost everything I would be interested in as far as dry goods goes. They are selling the Eheim canister I want for a full $20 less than the best price on Amazon. I liked the manager's attitude about vetting fish suppliers for environmentally friendly practices. They had so many tanks I lost count after 50. But as you said, their livestock and plants were seriously depleted, and the manager said they order in giant waves, which are announced at their Facebook page.
Anyway, two good recommendations that totally change the Philly-metro area for me, thank you!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No Problem!

Regarding lifestock, just as a FYI, Hidden reef does not have a live stock guarantee on their fish, and they will stand by it! I had two angelfish die on me after 24 hours, they were 25 dollar a piece. I had to fight to get 50% of my money back. Plus their live stock is a lot more price then The aquarium center

For live stock The Aquarium center > Hidden Reef.
iWoodsman likes this.

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Algae Grower

For livestock, I've had good success with natural pet at 2876 Dekalb Pike, East Norriton, PA 19401. The plant selection isn't too bad. So far I've had good success with what I've gotten from there.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X703F using Tapatalk

Chi1013

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Yes!! My favorite store! One of my best friends works there, he said they get shipments Monday’s and sometimes fridays, and if there’s a fish you want that they don’t always get they will order it for you. I was dying for Apisto agassizi “Fire Red” and they ordered them for me, now I have a happy pair. Their livestock is a bit pricier than competitors, but you pay for what you get. I drive 45 minutes from doylestown to get there because the staff is amazing and incredibly knowledgeable, and the owner is so nice. Can’t beat the prices for supplies either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWoodsman View Post
I visited The Hidden Reef yesterday, and that place is enormous. They had almost everything I would be interested in as far as dry goods goes. They are selling the Eheim canister I want for a full $20 less than the best price on Amazon. I liked the manager's attitude about vetting fish suppliers for environmentally friendly practices. They had so many tanks I lost count after 50. But as you said, their livestock and plants were seriously depleted, and the manager said they order in giant waves, which are announced at their Facebook page.
Anyway, two good recommendations that totally change the Philly-metro area for me, thank you!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Algae Grower

Here from Central PA. Does anyone know if any of the shops in the state have a good driftwood selection?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

Aquarium Center in Blackwood, SNJ is the best store in the region for plants, fish, shrimp, nano and rare species, and the price is good. The tanks are always clean and free of disease. The owner has run the store for 30 years and knows what he is doing.

Bump: Aquarium Center in Blackwood, SNJ is the best store in the region for plants, fish, shrimp, nano and rare species, and the price is good. The tanks are always clean and free of disease. The owner has run the store for 30 years and knows what he is doing.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

I visited Aquarium Center a few weeks ago and it has the cleanest/healthiest looking livestock I've seen in the area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode