Moving to PA, what to expect? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Narelle's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: FL Panhandle
Posts: 109
Moving to PA, what to expect?

I will most likely be moving to PA in the next couple of months, and was wondering what to expect of the aquarium scene there?
What's the water like out of the tap? (Should I expect to keep buying RO for my soft water fishes?)

I'm moving to go back to school (going to be an icthyologist) and have been accepted to Penn State. Any good LFS withing driving distance? (How far? Close enough to be a fish source and potential part time job? Gotta pay for the hobby. Currently an aquarist at a public aquarium, but I know there's not one anywhere near close enough to State College.)
Any freshwater clubs within reasonable driving distance?
Any weird legal stuff that pertains to the aquarium hobby that I should be aware of? (i.e. strict/weird laws about transporting fish into the state, collecting wild fish/plants, weird banned fish?)

I will be coming from Florida with just part of my fish collection to start with (2 tanks for now, 60g + sump and 30g). Going to be a big move, big change! Anything else to expect that might be a shock for a Floridian? (Other than the cold of course.)

Huge fan and collector of Asian catfish (particularly Bagrids).
My Display Tanks: 150g (+sump) planted tank, 60g (+sump) Sumatra blackwater tank, 30g Borneo blackwater tank, 55g hillstream tank, 30g H planted tank
In progress: 55g planted native tank
Narelle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Steel City, PA
Posts: 142
What area will you be moving to? Close to Pittsburgh?

The only 2 stores I know of around my area (Pittsburgh) is Elmers Aquarium (Monroeville) and Oddball Pets (Pittsburgh)
freshestemo412 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Planted Member
 
MaroMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alburtis, PA
Posts: 161
Hello from Eastern PA! Congrats on the college career! I live outside of allentown and my water comes in extremely hard from the local water authority, 400+tds... I have a whole house salt softener to approx 225 tds and then RO unit to drop my tds to about 5. I am about 3 hours away from state college and have never lived there so i do not know how it is in state college.
A really great fish store is outside of lancaster, a 2 hour drive from State College and not far from there is Msjinkzd, an importer of everything nano, check out her youtube channel, I get a lot of my fish from her, always getting in interesting and exotic freshwater fish. Those are the two spots that i know of out that way. You can contact msjinkzd, she is very nice and is highly connected in the fish world, she would know a lot about freshwater clubs, all the legal importing rules and also may know about some local shops.
Good Luck with your move and your schooling!
MaroMan is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
longgonedaddy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,259
Which campus of penn state? Water varies widely across the state, as there are quite a few distinct geographic regions. Maroman lives only about 30 miles from me, but my water is super soft.

If you're going to main campus, I believe the center of the state has a lot of limestone, so you may likely have hard water out there.

I'm not aware of any shops in that area, assuming you are going to main campus. But as maroman said, That Fish Place in Lancaster is most of the time worth the trip. You might not find what you want, but you certainly find something you can use.

Clubs are nonexistent to my knowledge in the middle of the state, only Pittsburgh and philly area have them.

If you're going for ichtyology, you'll probably have lots of contacts at the school, and can tell us about the good places!
MaroMan and MaroMan like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longgonedaddy is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Detroit Metro area
Posts: 60
As a recent Penn State grad, let me just say congratulations on being a part of the greatest school ever. I didn't keep any tanks in my time there, but i can tell you that there is one LFS in the nittany mall which is just about 15 minutes from downtown State College. Its called Finatics. Never been there myself, but that'd be the first place i'd go.

Water quality is fantastic if you plan on keeping African Ciclids. Better keep that RO system handy.

Edit in regards to longgonedaddy's comment about that fish place in lancaster. I've spent a fair amount of time there. Its a very good store to go look around. Huge, they have an impressive fish and reptile room. As far as quality of the fish there, i've not had good experiences. I kept angel fish for a while and any time i would buy fish from there to add to my tank, all of my other fish would get ick and die. If you do buy fish from there, i suggest a long quarantine period. Also check to see if Penn State has an aquarium club, they've got a club for just about everything.
dkraft12 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
longgonedaddy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft12 View Post
As a recent Penn State grad, let me just say congratulations on being a part of the greatest school ever. I didn't keep any tanks in my time there, but i can tell you that there is one LFS in the nittany mall which is just about 15 minutes from downtown State College. Its called Finatics. Never been there myself, but that'd be the first place i'd go.

Water quality is fantastic if you plan on keeping African Ciclids. Better keep that RO system handy.

Edit in regards to longgonedaddy's comment about that fish place in lancaster. I've spent a fair amount of time there. Its a very good store to go look around. Huge, they have an impressive fish and reptile room. As far as quality of the fish there, i've not had good experiences. I kept angel fish for a while and any time i would buy fish from there to add to my tank, all of my other fish would get ick and die. If you do buy fish from there, i suggest a long quarantine period. Also check to see if Penn State has an aquarium club, they've got a club for just about everything.

I haven't purchased fish from there since probably 2000, so my experience is dated.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longgonedaddy is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Planted Member
 
ScottW's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa
Posts: 166
Im around longgonedaddy, my ph is between 7 and 7.2. I have had good luck with That Fish Place and Petco around me. I usually order my fish online.

Even my son loves fish tanks!
ScottW is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
ROYWS3's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 346
There was a guy in Lewistown (appx 40 min SE from State College) that used to import some pretty nice stuff. He was selling mainly on Aquabid and I'm not sure that he still does. Something to look into though. There is a Petco on Atherton St. near Wegmans that does have a decent fish section with more than just the bread and butter fish that you often find at the big box stores. Last time I was there was appx 2 years ago but they had numerous species of cories including Sterbai's, various shrimp species, a few Apisto species, Some Tanganykia cichlids and a decent plant selection. Again, this is a few years ago but worth a look. There is also a new store in Duncansville (which is near Altoona and a straight shot down I-99 from State College) called Ricky Fin's Aquatics. I've not been there yet but they do have a facebook page and a 4.4 out of 5 star rating.

Hope this helps and Welcome to PA

Roy
ROYWS3 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
TECKSPEED's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Reading, Pennsylvania
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMan View Post
Hello from Eastern PA! Congrats on the college career! I live outside of allentown and my water comes in extremely hard from the local water authority, 400+tds... I have a whole house salt softener to approx 225 tds and then RO unit to drop my tds to about 5. I am about 3 hours away from state college and have never lived there so i do not know how it is in state college.

A really great fish store is outside of lancaster, a 2 hour drive from State College and not far from there is Msjinkzd, an importer of everything nano, check out her youtube channel, I get a lot of my fish from her, always getting in interesting and exotic freshwater fish. Those are the two spots that i know of out that way. You can contact msjinkzd, she is very nice and is highly connected in the fish world, she would know a lot about freshwater clubs, all the legal importing rules and also may know about some local shops.

Good Luck with your move and your schooling!


Awesome! I am right by the giant Cabelas in Hamburg!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MaroMan and MaroMan like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TECKSPEED is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYWS3 View Post
There was a guy in Lewistown (appx 40 min SE from State College) that used to import some pretty nice stuff. He was selling mainly on Aquabid and I'm not sure that he still does. Something to look into though. There is a Petco on Atherton St. near Wegmans that does have a decent fish section with more than just the bread and butter fish that you often find at the big box stores. Last time I was there was appx 2 years ago but they had numerous species of cories including Sterbai's, various shrimp species, a few Apisto species, Some Tanganykia cichlids and a decent plant selection. Again, this is a few years ago but worth a look. There is also a new store in Duncansville (which is near Altoona and a straight shot down I-99 from State College) called Ricky Fin's Aquatics. I've not been there yet but they do have a facebook page and a 4.4 out of 5 star rating.

Hope this helps and Welcome to PA

Roy
Ricky Fins is a great shop. He has FW and SW, great guy too, very knowledgable. 40 min from PSU Main
ROYWS3 and ROYWS3 like this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Yukiharu's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 1,186
If you like crayfish I have bad news. They're completely illegal here.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue Diamond Neocaridina
Tangerine Tiger Caridina
Yukiharu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome