New to the area - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking New to the area

Hello!

So I moved here a couple years ago but recently go into the aquarium scene. I was hoping some of you can tell me what are some good local fish stores to go to in the Philly area. I know of captain nemos (looks so unkempt) And aquarium center in NJ (probably the best store I've been to). Also, are there any sort of aquarium/planted tank centered conventions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sorry for the late reply, but for hard stuff like equipment, the hidden reef in Levittown is a hidden jewel. They have been hit or miss as far as livestock and plants go. The fish factory around the corner from the hidden reef is always good for oddball stuff. Hard goods are a little pricey though. And the fish factory also has an outlet store on street road in Bensalem. Equipment only there. Otherwise, post up what you are looking for. Our fellow hobbyists are always the best source for most of your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Aquarium center is the best in the area by a good margin. Hidden Reef is decent but as mentioned a little hit or miss. Their biggest problem is the people they hire though, they usually get some pretty cool stuff in. I've never been a fan of fish factory but they are great for getting live blackworms and they portions are quite nice. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them when it comes to buying fish. Those are really the only options unless you really want to take a drive. Captain Nemo's (actually now pets plus natural) is an interesting place to visit as they get some interesting stuff in, but the place is a dump and the prices are really high. There is also a pets plus in lawrenceville that gets in crazy stock by any standards (last time I went there he had like 5 different kinds of apistos and at least 3 other kinds of dwarf chichlids most of which I never seen in stores before) but the store is also a dump and while the guy in charge will brag about he can get anything, he has no clue how to actually keep anything healthy.

The options are fairly limited, but you should be able to find what you need between the few good stores.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Sorry for the late reply, but for hard stuff like equipment, the hidden reef in Levittown is a hidden jewel. They have been hit or miss as far as livestock and plants go. The fish factory around the corner from the hidden reef is always good for oddball stuff. Hard goods are a little pricey though. And the fish factory also has an outlet store on street road in Bensalem. Equipment only there. Otherwise, post up what you are looking for. Our fellow hobbyists are always the best source for most of your needs

I was actually just there yesterday! It looked like their driftwood was picked over but I was able to find a nice piece for about $20. They are also the only place I know that sells black lava rock locally! So I ended up buying some nice pieces for my tank. It's quite the drive (especially if you forget your ez pass lol) but I thought it was well worth it!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
Aquarium center is the best in the area by a good margin. Hidden Reef is decent but as mentioned a little hit or miss. Their biggest problem is the people they hire though, they usually get some pretty cool stuff in. I've never been a fan of fish factory but they are great for getting live blackworms and they portions are quite nice. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them when it comes to buying fish. Those are really the only options unless you really want to take a drive. Captain Nemo's (actually now pets plus natural) is an interesting place to visit as they get some interesting stuff in, but the place is a dump and the prices are really high. There is also a pets plus in lawrenceville that gets in crazy stock by any standards (last time I went there he had like 5 different kinds of apistos and at least 3 other kinds of dwarf chichlids most of which I never seen in stores before) but the store is also a dump and while the guy in charge will brag about he can get anything, he has no clue how to actually keep anything healthy.

The options are fairly limited, but you should be able to find what you need between the few good stores.
I remember when Captain nemo's was well stocked and taken care of. Now their big shark tank is dark with only one shark in it, kind of sad to see. As I mentioned the reef to rift was really good for hardscape which was exactly what I was looking for, sadly they did not have enough spider wood pieces so I'm thinking of going to Aquarium center later today (my friends and I are planning on going to NJ anyway, I'll just have to drag them to the store )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
There's a garden center in Jersey, Dambly's in Berlin (I think), they carry some really nice rock there. Cheap as well. They carry both red and black lava rock in large pieces and it's cheap, especially since it is so light.

-Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode