Where to Buy: Pool Filter Sand & Coal Slag Blasting Sand? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By nickrcarter6
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By natemcnutty
  • 2 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 1 Post By ryuzakiluke100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to Buy: Pool Filter Sand & Coal Slag Blasting Sand?

Price for these stuffs is ridiculous at Home Depot. Itís same as the actual aquarium sand. I keep seeing people say they use it as cheap alternative, so where I can find these cheap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 06:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

HTH pool filter sand is usually around $12/50lb at ACE Hardware.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

Ive used tube sand from the sand bags and were bought at home depot in bend and its a bigger sand wich is great for plants. its in between like beach sand and standard aquarium gravel and has a very natural look. The whote is crushed coarl so it doesnt have the white to it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ryuzakiluke100 likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuzakiluke100 View Post
Price for these stuffs is ridiculous at Home Depot. It’s same as the actual aquarium sand. I keep seeing people say they use it as cheap alternative, so where I can find these cheap?
Hi @ryuzakiluke100,

+1 for Ace Hardware for HTH Pool Filter sand; here in Seattle last spring I bought 3 bags for $27 plus tax..... and it looks good. Black Diamond Blasting Sand is available at Tractor Supply Company in Sandy, OR for $9.99 for 50#. They carry in two (2) grit sizes, medium and fine. Your want the one with 20/40 grit size. Hope this helps! -Roy

A display tank at the AGA Convention in Seattle last spring put together with HTH pool filter sand

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 01-25-2020 at 06:11 AM. Reason: ..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
United Western Supply in North Portland off Lombard is a great source for black sand. The brand they carry is Black Magic instead of Black Diamond, but it's still your basic coal slag.

I believe it was $12 for 50 lbs, and I've been using it for several years now. I still have about a half a bag here if you ever make it out towards Beaverton

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Depending in your local Willamette Graystone, they carry 50# bags of "river sand" And locally to Eugene, OR there's a couple sand and gravel companies in the Delta Oaks and Coburg areas that stock McKenzie river gravel called Turkey or Poultry Grit. It's size graded to 3mm to 7mm that's nearly pure volcanic sourced gravel in lovely red and brown shades. It's really nice planted tank gravel if you don't mind it being a little heavier and looser than typical filter sand.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Got too the pool sand pricematching at Home Depot with ACE Hardware price.
natemcnutty likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode