NC fish shops that sell rimless tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
NC fish shops that sell rimless tanks?

Specifically looking for rimless tanks, but really I'd like to know if there are any good fish shops left in NC. I never made it to the Wet Spot in Charlotte, and I'll check out the Fish Room in Raleigh or Cary soon, but their online inventory has almost no rimless tanks.

Getting a tank shipped seems excessive, and I'd like to see something in person before I make up my mind. Anything?

I'm in Greensboro. Asheville is a distant possibility, and Wilmington is just too far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Specifically looking for rimless tanks, but really I'd like to know if there are any good fish shops left in NC. I never made it to the Wet Spot in Charlotte, and I'll check out the Fish Room in Raleigh or Cary soon, but their online inventory has almost no rimless tanks.

Getting a tank shipped seems excessive, and I'd like to see something in person before I make up my mind. Anything?

I'm in Greensboro. Asheville is a distant possibility, and Wilmington is just too far.
*Waves from Winston Salem* With a big sigh I ask that question too, if there are any good fish shops left in NC.
As far as Asheville, I want to say that the last time I checked it out I only remember a few stores and none that were amazing.
One just off of Patton ave but I can't seem to find it now online. (Visited about 7 or 8 years ago)
One very small shop off of sweeten creek rd (25alt) "Mountian to Sea" may have been the name. (Visited again 7 or 8 years ago).
A larger store off of Hendersonville rd (hwy 25). It was in pretty bad shape about 10 or 12 years ago. I doubt it's changed much.

They may be worth calling. I bet you won't find too much on a websit about them.

Add a custom signature
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Upscale Aquatics in Huntersville (north of Charlotte) had one the last time I was in there. I'm sure they could order them. Oddly, they don't appear to have their inventory listed online. Not the best LFS, but it's better than most around here.

Edit: Bwahaha, I have no idea how I necro'd this ancient board so badly. Please ignore this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have been making a tour of the Raleigh pet shops recently as I think about getting back into the hobby.

The Fish Room in Cary had a rimless tank that I have been thinking about. Other than that, their selection is small. Like many places their emphasis is salt water. They have a decent selection of supplies though. The Fish Room in Raleigh is larger, but no rimless tank. Both are very nice stores. Very upscale looking. Helpful people. It's just when you are a specialized hobbyist like us, no place meets your needs.

Supposedly the premier aquarium place around here is Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest. I was thinking of going today.

I was wondering about Fintastic in Charlotte. Looks like it has gone to all custom set-ups and maintenance.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just got back from Aquarium Outfitters. It made me nostalgic for the old days. Lots of aquariums and fish everywhere. Tanks of all different sizes. Variety of fish was pretty good. They didn't have many aquariums for sale. None were rimless. Lots of supplies.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
I went to Fintastic years ago, back before I moved to NC, and it was an amazing, huge store with a ton of selection. Unfortunately, they closed down their store the last time I checked, and I think they are only doing installations/maintenance services now. If you're ever in Charlotte though, you could try Aquatica! They just opened recently.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

I am rather glad that I necro'd this thread, as I'm now raking in the information on where to look in this day and age!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:16 AM
Algae Grower

Update for the curious.

I stopped by Aquatica, per @CobraGuppy 's suggestion. LOTS of bizarre and unusual fish! Overall, they look in decent shape, too. Their plant supply is... rather minuscule, though. Nothing too amazing in that department. However, if you need fish, they have some cool species (and I got there the day before their next shipment comes in).

They have some fabulous display tanks, as well, for eye candy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice! Glad you could check them out. Maybe I should give them a try again; last time I went, their selection wasn't too great, but they were still in the process of setting up the store. I'm glad I came upon this thread too, because now I know of Aquarium Outfitters and want to give them a try.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 PM

Hello all, first post here. I'm in Greensboro and have been away from the hobby for around a decade. Had several medium sized tanks way back when, now just a 10G for the kids. Recently upgraded that one from neon rocks and tetras to more realistic digs for some danios, cories, etc. Even planted a real plant (moneywort and the reason I ended up here).

This thread brings back some good memories, I remember Fintastic and the late great Aquamain just blocks from my place here in Greensboro. Things are slim here now but Friendly Pets at Friendly Center has a respectable selection of freshwater species, even some decent plants. Minimal salt water. Other than the chains this is the only one I have found locally. I'll have to check out Aquatica! when I'm back in the Queen City again.

In the meantime I'll be scanning the board here, I'm planning a 30G planted setup before too much longer.

Matt
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Matt! Thanks for the suggestion. I go to Greensboro fairly often, so I'll be sure to check out Friendly Pets the next time I'm there. If you're ever headed towards Raleigh, there is a place called Dubey's Pet World in Mebane along the way that has a decent selection of freshwater fish and also pond fish. Plants weren't anything too special though.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraGuppy View Post
Hey Matt! Thanks for the suggestion. I go to Greensboro fairly often, so I'll be sure to check out Friendly Pets the next time I'm there. If you're ever headed towards Raleigh, there is a place called Dubey's Pet World in Mebane along the way that has a decent selection of freshwater fish and also pond fish. Plants weren't anything too special though.
OH wow, Dubey's...what a place. I worked in Burlington years ago and would venture in there from time to time. Thanks for the reply, I'll be in touch.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I went back to the Fish Room in Cary today. I am looking for a 20H. Amazing how hard it is to find just a 20H that is not in a kit. Anyways.....

They still had the rimless 45gallon. I asked them if they could get other size rimless tanks, and he quickly said "oh yeah" as if it were easy. He said they came in all kinds of sizes. He said he thought he had seen them in 90 gallon and maybe 120 gallon. I'm wondering if he hasn't seen 90cm and 120cm and that is what he is remembering. He did say they were expensive. So if anyone is looking for rimless, they "say" they can get whatever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode