Tropical Fish World - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Tropical Fish World

I made another trip over to Tropical Fish World in Raleigh, near Capital Blvd today and was really impressed with the store and service. The selection is as good as any shop I've been to in NC. The staff all seem pretty informed and friendly.

I just stopped in because I was in the area, but found a nice stock pile of plants I had to leave with. I've been ordering a bunch of fish and plants online, but I'm going to make a point of checking with them first going forward.

Here is the website: http://fishworldnc.com/

Eheim Pimp #381
Raleigh Aquarium Society Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah, that place has been great for years. Nice tanks, great selection, and the staff are knowledgable.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Went to TFW yesterday, selection of fish is excellent. The employee I spoke to said they no longer stock many plants due to low demand. All they had were 3 anubius nana for $10.99 each. However, they offered to special order whatever I wanted. So, if you're looking for a retail store to have your plants shipped to or to special order from, I'd definitely go there. BTW, the staff is friendly and in the know. (They are also about to stock spider wood, yeah!)

Last edited by knm<><; 03-20-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the kind words. The idea was to rip out the Koi vats in between the 2 African sections and put in a 125 and a 93 Cube to stock my plants as well as Angels and Rams. Unfortunately, money has been tight recently and that project has been put on hold. I'm always willing to special order plants, fish and inverts for people - just let me know.

-Adam
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Hey everyone. Tropical fish world is a really nice place to go for both freshwater and saltwater.
I've been very happy with the service that I've gotten. Whenever I ordered plants or fish, they were always healthy and well cared after.

Hats off TFW, thanks for your service.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Drove by here the other day and it was shut down. There was a note on the front door about failure to pay the lease or something to that effect. Store was completely cleaned out. This was disappointing as it was one of the last few really good aquatic stores in the Raleigh area.

J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
I know I'm a little late, but we indeed did shut down. We had some very loyal customers, but unfortunately we also lost a lot of business to the local Petsmart and the owners just couldn't keep up with the expenses of running the place

The store made it just past their 20 year anniversary. Thanks again to everyone who stayed with us to the end.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

Sad to see this store go :[

- Austin

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Algae Grower

I'm new to the aquarium hobby, just have a planted 5 gallon now, but was wondering if any of you guys have suggestions on a good lfs in the area since fish world is down? I was so excited to find it on google...then I found this thread...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hey there, Don't know if you'll get this anytime soon NCwoodfish. Are you looking at anything in particular for plants/fish? You'll be limited to the fish because you have 5 gallons but other than that, plants are limited to light

There is several that have decent supplies and fish that I know of within an hour drive

Aqua-rama in fayetteville. I haven't been as of yet, but I may make the journey down there in a couple of weeks.

Carolina Pet supply is decent IMO. Make sure you know what your looking for because the older guy will try to sell you any fish..he's a nice guy though. Have bought several stocks of fish and haven't been disappointed.

There's a store in Durham but the name escapes me at the moment.

Fish World was an amazing place. The livestock were always healthy and well fed. Advice was given by people that actually knew what they were talking about. I met several friends through Fish World, and have done swaps.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm gonna recommend Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest, NC. I was born and raised in Raleigh and can't ever remember a better store than this if you are into fish.

Aquarium Outfitters

J

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoxRocks View Post
I'm gonna recommend Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest, NC. I was born and raised in Raleigh and can't ever remember a better store than this if you are into fish.

Aquarium Outfitters

J

I think that a neighbor and I are going there next weekend...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
I think that a neighbor and I are going there next weekend...
The owner's name is Kurt... he knows me well. If you tell him you know "Jaybird" he will know who you are talking about. I've probably spent well over $500 with him on Rainbowfish, Neons and Otos in the last 2 weekends. My name is J, but he's called me Jaybird ever since I started going there. Trust me, you wont be disappointed!

J

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Fish World, off Capital Blvd (Westinghouse Blvd) is Open under new ownership. I spoke with a guy Rob, who is one of the 4 new owners. As he put it, IBM lay offs led to him and 3 others getting together to open the place back up.

They are bare bones on dry goods and getting their first shipments of freshwater fish. He told me a LOT of suppliers are going out of business and the only one with decent prices he's buying from is out of California. Even Sunpet, rumor has it, may be going out of business in the near future?

Rob and his partners are sick of paying high prices for fish. He showed me a Tang in the salt water tanks that's over $80 up the road at The Fish Room, by 540. His price is in the 40's. Their goal, is apparently to price just as good as online pricing.

Just wanted to share that he has a similar option that Aquarium Outfitters does. You can take any extra plants, fish, etc to him and he will put it on Consignment. Here's the cool part, you get 50% of the sale.

He needs stock and wants to work with as many local folks as he can who breed fish and raise plants. He'd rather 'buy local/sell local'.

Just want to give a shout out to these guys who are trying to keep the LFS alive in Raleigh.

Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbotts View Post
Just wanted to share that he has a similar option that Aquarium Outfitters does. You can take any extra plants, fish, etc to him and he will put it on Consignment. Here's the cool part, you get 50% of the sale.
I know where I'll be taking 20-30 angels on Saturday!

J

Last edited by JCoxRocks; 06-18-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode