Plants for Sell in Raleigh? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Plants for Sell in Raleigh?

Anybody selling any plants, parts, fish etc in Raleigh? I don't really call it 'lazy' but I don't want to drive 3 hours to Charlotte for the swap meet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbotts View Post
Anybody selling any plants, parts, fish etc in Raleigh? I don't really call it 'lazy' but I don't want to drive 3 hours to Charlotte for the swap meet.
Nothing at the moment, but I can let you know the next time I trim my tanks.

J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That would be awesome man. Keep me in mind.

Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Same with me, what plants did you have in mind?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
You Raleigh folks okay?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Yup, tornado missed our house by about 8 miles... I don't think anyone was injured...

A lightning bolt did hit one of the trees in our back yard though... it's a gonner.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
You Raleigh folks okay?
Nothing here. When I got home from work it was sunny and drizzling, but it was pretty rough for an hour or two before that at work. The creek behind the house looked like a muddy white water rapids.

J

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@fishykid - I live off Avent Ferry in S. raleigh. We were less than a mile from some of the tornado damage. I would say if you are close, we had a lighting strike that popped near us in someone's backyard. Holy smokes it was loud.

I'm also really not picky as far as plants go. I have a Low Light (currently) 55 gal, with a larger aggregate, 2x DIY Co2 that are around 90% efficient.

I'm hoping a guy in N . Raleigh is going to show me his DIY Led towards the end of this month, early next. He was preparing for a build and invited me to watch and learn how the does the electrical piece. That feels a bit over my head but maybe not after I see it first hand.

I have 2 Ocelot Swords, 2 Amazon Swords, some dwarf baby tears(that are stagnant until I get some better aggregate or more light), water fern, Fanwort, and some grass that's growing like it's on crack. I have to double check with my LFS on the exact species but it's 2 feet tall, at least and shoot out runners under and over the gravel at least once a week to start a new shoot.

I'd love to fill it up with whatever you guys have cuttings of. I'm not picky until I get something really established. I want to get comfortable first.

I dose fert (excel and tabs) and I'll upgrade lighting on the next couple months when I figure what to do.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbotts View Post
some grass that's growing like it's on crack. I have to double check with my LFS on the exact species but it's 2 feet tall, at least and shoot out runners under and over the gravel at least once a week to start a new shoot.
My guess is jungle val. It looks great, and grows fast, but you have to cut all the runners or it will overtake your tank.

I've got some limnophila aromatica, rotala rotundifolia, DHG, Staurogyne repens, fissidens fontanus, Polygonum sp. Kawagoeanum, pygmy chain sword. But you'll really need to upgrade your lighting for this stuff. I get some really nice deep reds out of the underside of the limno and the rotala and polygonum are nice and red, but it took almost 630watts with a plant grow bulb in the red spectrum to get there. I'm not saying you will need that much wattage on your 55g, but on a tank the size of my 125 as tall as it is from lights to substrate, it took a little more wattage.

I will probably be ready to trim in early May.

I have 2 HUGE amazon swords I need to get rid of. If either of you can use it, its yours. I've trimmed back probably 80% of its leaves and it is still about 2 foot tall and takes up about 3 feet of the back of my tank from left to right. It just overtakes all the light, so I'm going to try something different.

J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode