Any Angelfish, tetra, otocinclus breeders near Raleigh, NC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Any Angelfish, tetra, otocinclus breeders near Raleigh, NC

As the title says, looking around for mainly tetra and otocinclus breeders near raleigh (within an hour)

Also lookign for Angel breeders to help me gain information on how to breed angels. I think I want to try later this year when I have time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been breeding angels for years. Here's a youtube video of one of my spawns.

Breeding Freshwater Angelfish

I currently have 4 of my best angels from last year's spawns in my 125g waiting for them to pair. I also have about 8 of Ken Kennedy's platinum blue line angels I'm growing out to add to my breeding pool as well. I'd be happy to help you out as much as I can. I am no expert, but I can tell you what has worked for me.

J

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Check out TAFII

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoxRocks View Post
I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been breeding angels for years. Here's a youtube video of one of my spawns.

Breeding Freshwater Angelfish

I currently have 4 of my best angels from last year's spawns in my 125g waiting for them to pair. I also have about 8 of Ken Kennedy's platinum blue line angels I'm growing out to add to my breeding pool as well. I'd be happy to help you out as much as I can. I am no expert, but I can tell you what has worked for me.

J
Thanks alot! Where abouts in Raleigh are you? And do you go to the RAS? Are you going this thursday.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Thanks alot! Where abouts in Raleigh are you? And do you go to the RAS? Are you going this thursday.
I don't know what the RAS is (I'm assuming Raleigh Aquarium Society?). And I guess that means I wont be going thursday, lol.

I'm in North Raleigh, near Six Forks Rd.

J

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I don't know what the RAS is (I'm assuming Raleigh Aquarium Society?). And I guess that means I wont be going thursday, lol.

I'm in North Raleigh, near Six Forks Rd.

J
Yup it's Raleigh Aquarium Society. It's held in the Vetenary building at the New NCSU vet school right by the fair grounds. its the first thursday of every month..

Most everyone either talks about drinking exotic beers or smoking cigars, lol.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The website looks to be pretty out of date with events dated from 2010 and websites to LFSs that have been closed for years.

J

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The website looks to be pretty out of date with events dated from 2010 and websites to LFSs that have been closed for years.

J

Yeah, whoever does the website is not very... prompt. I wouldn't say it's the best group but it's better than nothing. I've done a few swaps with a lady named Amy. Very nice, worked at Fish World for quite a while.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Contact Lisa01 from the Charlotte Club. I know she does a lot of angles.

Good luck!

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bringing this thread back to life:

currently have 2 breeding pairs of angels producing:

Black
Silver Zebra
Black Zebra
Gold
Silver Leopard
Black Leopard
Silver

Should have an available batch within the next 2 weeks. Currently have 7-8 sub adults at quarter size or larger. Will have 30-40 dime size juveniles available by month's end. If interested, PM me. Currently local pickup only, but will consider shipping options. Extreme heat in the area may make this a challenge (heat index today is over 105 degrees). Photos available of parents and/or juveniles from the same spawn.

J

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I bought a couple angels from a breeder at the last Hickory/Charlotte swap shop. It wasn't Lisa it was some guy from Kannapolis, Statesville or Greensboro (I really can't remember where he said). Lisa may know him though.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am near Burlington Graham area and willing to help all I can . I now have some pea size and larger ready to go . They would be silvers , black ghost , ghost , might even be a clown or two in the group.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

If anyone cares, or has advice it would be much appreciated. I have somehow 2 pairs of Platinum Angels out of 4...They have both laid eggs 4-5 times each but haven't let them set longer than 2 days, probably because of the other fish.

I plan on setting up a 20G as a breeder tank, any suggestions as to filtration, besides sponge filters? I have one rated for a 40G tank ready to go.

If I can get them to breed and produce viable fry, I'll probably offer them to local people for pretty cheap compared to professional breeders. According to the guy I bought these from, they are true 100% platinum blue angels from angelfish USA.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sponge Filters are the best for breeders as a HOB will suck the fry in and kill them . I only use sponge in all my tanks . Also I might be interested in a pair from you if they do not work out for you . It might take up to 5 or more tries for them to parent raise
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad Angels View Post
Sponge Filters are the best for breeders as a HOB will suck the fry in and kill them . I only use sponge in all my tanks . Also I might be interested in a pair from you if they do not work out for you . It might take up to 5 or more tries for them to parent raise

Alright, I don't think I'm going to sell them as they are basically family. If that sounds weird...

I think one problem is that there are 2 pairs in the same tank... If I got them into a separate tank I think I can be successful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode