Is there any betta breeder in NC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there any betta breeder in NC

Just as the tittle says, "Is there any betta breeder in NC?"

the reason why I'm asking is because I want to start breeding betta but there is no lfs that actually carries any good quality betta, so my best option is to buy it from a breeder. And yes i know of Aquabid but cant seem to persuade myself into paying nearly $200 for a good breeding pair (cost of the two betta, international shipping, transshipping). So i was hoping maybe I can buy from any local breeders in NC.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Look up Scott at The Fish Warehouse in Hickory, NC. I don't think that he breeds them but I think he had some interesting betta's. Mouth brooders and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5.65WPG, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Wingsdlc, i didnt think i was going to get a reply but once again thank you and yes i will defiantly look him up

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
You could also try looking on www.aquacharlotte.org. The Charlotte Area Aquarist Society. Might be someone on there who breeds.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah they were the first thing that came to mind, i emailed the administrator but he/she never replied back to me
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Try to look up Lisa Wilson from the Charlotte club. She has her hands on a lot of different fish. She is also connected to Scott and the Western NC club. Where in NC are you form ireland?

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, i will try looking her up. I live in the Hickory area so from where i live to charlotte is not far at all and i actually go there once or twice every so months.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

You really need to get over to Scott's shop then. He has a lot of neat fish that you won't find anywhere else. I guess he has bought a building and is starting to move tanks. The building is on 1st AVE SW a couple of blocks west of 321.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

You should also come to our club meetings.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Also check on www.ultimatebettas.com and at the www.ibc.org.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went and checked out Scott's shop a few days ago and man he does have alot of unique fish, all sorts of wild pike, cichlids, and tetra's. He also has a huge variety of HEALTHY plants (unlike the local petco and petsmart), wish I knew of his shop sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsdlc View Post
You should also come to our club meetings.
where do you guys have your meetings?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Also check on www.ultimatebettas.com and at the www.ibc.org.
I havent tried at IBC, but I tried registering for ultimatebettas and for some reason they rejected my registration.. odd
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
I just recently registered at ultimatebettas too. I think they're pending your registration.

Why do you say that it costs $200 for importing bettas? I recently ordered 2 bettas from Thailand, still awaiting shipment. (Just so happens that they're a male and female too) It only cost me a little over $40. Transhipping was $5 a piece. It's more convenient for me, though, cuz the transhipper is local and I can pick it up directly from him so I can avoid another shipping cost.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the closest transhipper to where i live isn't local, so its $30 for shipment (not sure if thats just for one fish or if i can do a bundle), $40 for a breeding pair, $10 total for the breeder's transhipment. So if that $30 for my transhipment is for both fish then its $80 but if its $30 each, it'll be $110. Huh maybe i exaggerated a bit on the $200, but still $80/$110 for two 2" fish? seems a bit expensive. Dont get me wrong I'm not a cheap person and I've already put in a small fortune into this hobby buying equipments, fish, plants, etc. but this seems a bit expensive, that's why I thought maybe I could save some money and buy from a local breeder and do without the all shippings.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland View Post
I havent tried at IBC, but I tried registering for ultimatebettas and for some reason they rejected my registration.. odd
PM me your username if you're still having issues and I'll get one of the Admins to look into it.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode