Places to visit in Queens/NYC? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Places to visit in Queens/NYC?

Hey all, hailing from upstate NY, recently moved back into the Hudson Valley and I am missing good LFS. Next weekend I'll be in Fresh Meadows, was wondering what are some stores to check out around the Queens area. Not necessarily looking to buy, just want a place that has great display tanks to stare at and lose time .

Additionally, now I can take the train down into Manhattan so what are some great stores on the island to "wow" me? I love photography so going to B&H photo always blows me away, hopefully there is a fish store equivalent!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
queens, monster aquarium
manhattan, pacific aquarium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Monster Aquarium in Flushing (131-08 40th Rd) is the place to go if you're sticking strictly to Queens. Lots of window shopping can be done there, whether you go home with a lot or a little, or even nothing at all (good luck with that).

If you're headed to Manhattan, stop off at Pacific Aquarium (46 Delancey St). Bring your camera — you could probably get some great photos of their show tank up front, assuming they're OK with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
NYC; the place where you can find anything - except for decent aquarium fish. The number of LFS in the area has declined shockingly in recent years.

Fishtown USA on Northern Blvd. in Queens usually has healthy fish & uncommon species; unless they've also gone out of business.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would also check out Manhattan Aquariums by the Lincoln tunnel area if you're in Manhattan.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
NYC; the place where you can find anything - except for decent aquarium fish. The number of LFS in the area has declined shockingly in recent years.

Fishtown USA on Northern Blvd. in Queens usually has healthy fish & uncommon species; unless they've also gone out of business.
Low profit margins and ever increasing rents are probably to blame for the declining LFS.

Under construction.

Eheim 2217, pressurized C02, high tech planted

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Went to Monster Aquariums today, was a good trip, thanks for the recommendations. Will stop by the Manhattan ones probably next weekend. Manage to make it out with only a plant or two, but man I was tempted... almost took an ADA tank home w/ me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode