Petco Union Square: Scarlet Badis & Dwarf Corys - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
leemacnyc's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: machattan
Posts: 574
Petco Union Square: Scarlet Badis & Dwarf Corys

Picked up a pair, they actually had a female...i think:-) $7.99/each

Also several dozen dwarf corys @ $1.09/each

cheers


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leemacnyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Gametheory's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 302
Wow..great find and nice prices on the cories. I paid 3 bucks each for mine =/
Gametheory is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
aznrice247's Avatar
 
PTrader: (33/97%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 682
Word of warning. The pygmies seem to have an infection, or are in poor health.
aznrice247 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 PM
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
IDR's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 433
I pass Petco Union Square daily on my commute. I've gone in less and less and less over the last two years. The quality of their care has gotten worse by the day. I know that I shouldn't expect quality care in general from a chain store like that, but every time I've gone in recently, their invertebrates tanks are full of dead animals, and they've been packing all their South American fish, including 2-3" sized Angels and multiple Rams into the smaller sized displays they have. It's pathetic.

I went into pick up some ghost shrimp a while back, and I ended up leaving because not only did it take ten minutes of me standing there for someone to even ask if I needed help, but the woman who said she'd be with me was netting out some smaller Tetras for a guy and dropped six of them. Guess where all six went? Right into his bag. And he shrugged it off like it was nothing, even laughing with her when she nervously said she wasn't very good at this.

I can tell you that yes, they've had Badis Badis and dwarf Corydoras, but I'd never purchase from them just based on the conditions of their tanks. You're almost certainly bringing home diseased fish, and the stress levels they're under being so tightly packed isn't helping matters either. Spend the few extra bucks and go somewhere reputable.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IDR is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
leemacnyc's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: machattan
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDR View Post
Spend the few extra bucks and go somewhere reputable.
I think we can all agree that their quality/conditions are sub-par and necessary precautions need to be taken.

I've never seen Scarlet Badis anywhere else.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leemacnyc is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
agro's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDR View Post
I pass Petco Union Square daily on my commute. I've gone in less and less and less over the last two years. The quality of their care has gotten worse by the day. I know that I shouldn't expect quality care in general from a chain store like that, but every time I've gone in recently, their invertebrates tanks are full of dead animals, and they've been packing all their South American fish, including 2-3" sized Angels and multiple Rams into the smaller sized displays they have. It's pathetic.

I went into pick up some ghost shrimp a while back, and I ended up leaving because not only did it take ten minutes of me standing there for someone to even ask if I needed help, but the woman who said she'd be with me was netting out some smaller Tetras for a guy and dropped six of them. Guess where all six went? Right into his bag. And he shrugged it off like it was nothing, even laughing with her when she nervously said she wasn't very good at this.

I can tell you that yes, they've had Badis Badis and dwarf Corydoras, but I'd never purchase from them just based on the conditions of their tanks. You're almost certainly bringing home diseased fish, and the stress levels they're under being so tightly packed isn't helping matters either. Spend the few extra bucks and go somewhere reputable.
Person who upheld the strict maintenance recently (months)left that store, she's over at another store atm. Believe now it's just Wayne the older gentleman and some other employees they swap every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
I think we can all agree that their quality/conditions are sub-par and necessary precautions need to be taken.

I've never seen Scarlet Badis anywhere else.
Pacific, Monster Aquarium, 123 aquarium. Only petco in the area allowed to carry them is 14th due to magnet status, unless special ordered.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
agro is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:23 PM
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
IDR's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 433
Yup. I forget her name, but she isn't there anymore, and ever since she left, things have gone way down hill. Wayne is fine about netting fish, and knows a decent amount. I've seen him talk noobs out of getting common plecos for 10 gallon tanks, for example, but generally speaking, the store has gone from like a B-minus rating (especially considering its a Petco), to like a D-minus. Big drop.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IDR is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
agro's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDR View Post
Yup. I forget her name, but she isn't there anymore, and ever since she left, things have gone way down hill. Wayne is fine about netting fish, and knows a decent amount. I've seen him talk noobs out of getting common plecos for 10 gallon tanks, for example, but generally speaking, the store has gone from like a B-minus rating (especially considering its a Petco), to like a D-minus. Big drop.
Petite blonde with thick accent? She's working with me at 100 & Columbus. Currently fixing a once high shrink store.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
agro is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
IDR's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by agro View Post
Petite blonde with thick accent? She's working with me at 100 & Columbus. Currently fixing a once high shrink store.
That's a great add for you guys. There's another guy with a hand tattoo and glasses who works at Union Square who is pretty good too, but I don't see him nearly as often as I do Wayne and the other rotation of employees.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IDR is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
agro's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDR View Post
That's a great add for you guys. There's another guy with a hand tattoo and glasses who works at Union Square who is pretty good too, but I don't see him nearly as often as I do Wayne and the other rotation of employees.
Might be a part timer or her replacement, only ones I know who work aquatics are some girls and wayne.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
agro is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
leemacnyc's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: machattan
Posts: 574
I'm really enjoying the Scarlet Badis. Wouldn't be surprised if they bred soon.

Male is displaying alot and his colors have become very intense. Female seems responsive. They remind me of tiny female bettas.

They are ravenous feeders, may need to re-stock copepods from another nano.

Will try to upload a photo, but they are very small and the nano is densely planted.

Cheers


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leemacnyc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome