Question about Eco- Complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Question about Eco- Complete

Has anyone ever had this turn white? I was at Monster yesterday and one of the girls told me this happens and you have to change out the eco every couple of years. Never heard this but I'm no expert. If I wanted to can I vacuum out the substrate really well and put more eco or ADA on top of this or do I just have to get rid of it totally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Never had that happen. Rubbish IMO.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think that just because I've never heard of it, that don't mean it can't happen.
I have had Eco in one of my tanks going on 2.5 years now...no issues.
I suspect that IF this did happen, it was because of some added chemical that
is not normally used for aquariums or more times I would have heard of this.
Either not normally used in aquariums or is for them but still seldom used.
Is this something which already has happened in your tank ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Raymond S. I have this in the tank from day one and it's about 2 years now. I noticed one piece that seemed to be loosing the black color but I just figured it was something else like a different rock or something that got thrown in by accident. It's in a low tech tank with lots of anubias and windlov ferns a crypt, that's it. I occasionally use Flourish excell and some plant ferts that's it. The ph is on the acid side 6.4 but my fish are fine with that. I had a krib pair that were having fry every month. Just a question to see if anyone else has seen this, I think it's odd. Jrill glad you never had this happen to you but I'm sure there are alot of things that you might not have experienced, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's crushed volvanic rock, mostly. Unless you're growing something on it, it doesn't turn white by itself. The odd bit may have a slight different composition that could fade a little, but as a whole? No.

I have some that's been sitting outside in direct SoCal sunlight for a year, and it's as black as the day I bought it... as I would expect to be the case, with black volcanic rock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow, really, maybe I should just take it out before anything happens. Thanks kman
my luck I got the one odd bag that was the lemon. I have some left in an unused 10g. I'll give it a wash and use it, see what happens.
Thanks guys!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnfins View Post
Raymond S. I have this in the tank from day one and it's about 2 years now. I noticed one piece that seemed to be loosing the black color but I just figured it was something else like a different rock or something that got thrown in by accident. It's in a low tech tank with lots of anubias and windlov ferns a crypt, that's it. I occasionally use Flourish excell and some plant ferts that's it. The ph is on the acid side 6.4 but my fish are fine with that. I had a krib pair that were having fry every month. Just a question to see if anyone else has seen this, I think it's odd. Jrill glad you never had this happen to you but I'm sure there are alot of things that you might not have experienced, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
You asked if it happened to others I said no. Gosh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode