A good place to buy a fish tank in NYC? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
A good place to buy a fish tank in NYC?

I tried to go to petco and petsmart, the nearest ones are in valley stream, but I was so dissapointed. I could find a 38g tank and price for 40g breeder was ridiclous, so please help. Can you reccomend a place in NYC that I can find a better deal for tanks than in those chain stores? Thanks.

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And "Like Us" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Petland Discounts usually has the lowest tank prices around, though I'm not entirely sure if they carry 38g and 40b.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
yes, petland discount has the cheapest AGA tanks around, most of them won't carry the 40b though, but they could always place a special order for you. also, you should check out craigslist, a lot of times people are moving and they either sell their tank cheap or offer them as free things.

one word of advice, stay away from those "aquarium kits" or "packaged deal". You can get better quality hardware and equipment online for almost always half the price compare to even the cheapest chain stores.

Treasure your ears and they'll serve you well...
my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. Do you think petland carry 38g? And of course I stay away from the all-in-one kits, they are crap .

Thanks

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Craigs List
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
I agree craigslist, but petland is scattered all around the city so call around and see if any have the one you want.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
craigslist
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Craigslist or Ebay has the best deal, but be sure to check very very carefully for scratches. Don't settle on the deal before you get to check the tank inch by inch with some strong flash light.

That petland discount in Valley Stream you had mentioned could possibly be the one very close to Valley Stream North High School. That little shopping area were where the kids who were cool enough to ditch the school cafeteria and have lunch....memories of those cool popular kids..

Treasure your ears and they'll serve you well...
my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
That petland discount in Valley Stream you had mentioned could possibly be the one very close to Valley Stream North High School. That little shopping area were where the kids who were cool enough to ditch the school cafeteria and have lunch....memories of those cool popular kids..
Hehe, I mentioned a petco and petsmart, but there is a petland discounts there too. I am refering to that mall where people killed that poor guy in walmart on black friday.

As for the tank, I don't want anything bigger than 55g, so I am planning to get a new one, that's why I am asking of good stores in Brooklyn or nassau to check out.

Thanks

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/96%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinsmok View Post
Hehe, I mentioned a petco and petsmart, but there is a petland discounts there too. I am refering to that mall where people killed that poor guy in walmart on black friday.

As for the tank, I don't want anything bigger than 55g, so I am planning to get a new one, that's why I am asking of good stores in Brooklyn or nassau to check out.

Petland definately has the 55Gal tank and stand combo for $125. Otherwise they carry probally the best prices for other tanks. Definately do not go with the "kits" they are rip offs. Since you are in Bayridge, there's a petland on 5th Ave between 85th and 84th street.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Petland has great prices on tanks but just about everything else is a ripoff! If they dont have the tank you want, tell them the dimentions you are looking for and they can order it for you.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Craiglist

Trust me when I say Craiglists is your best bet. I can find a bigger tank (ex 72 bow or 90 Gallon tank for around $250- $350 , Thats with filter, lights, heaters among others. I got both 46 bow for $150 and my 90 gallon for $300
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I got a 35 octagon w/ stand and a brand new heater, Brand New Whisper ex70 filter w/ a box of 4 extra filters, substrate and other stuff. I am gonna put on craigslist for 175.00. I am in Maspeth Queens if your interested.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you, but I already got a shiny new 75g

Thanks

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice, after seeing it the 35 seemed too small for me. 75 is a nice choice,good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode