Cleaning the plants from algae/snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Question Cleaning the plants from algae/snails

Does anyone have experience/idea if HC can survive bleach bath for 2 minutes? Bleach would be diluted with water 1:19. Started new 90g tank, I would like to have algae/snails/ich free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That would be pretty hard on the plants. The delicate ones are suggested for no more than about 30 seconds.
Suggest different dips for different purposes, and the dilution and duration will vary, but here are some to research:
Excel for algae.
Alum for snails.
Leave the plants in a quarantine tank with NO fish to allow Ich to die. It will die without a host in just a day or two at tropical temps (mid 70sF or warmer). It will take longer to die at room temperature (I would give it at least a week). You can also be assessing the effectiveness of the other treatments, or re-treating if needed.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did you use Excel as a dip/bath for algae? If you know, what would be the concentration? Did you ever use Alum? I used alum once, for snail control and pickled my new plants.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

Diana you have some great knowledge! I like reading your posts. I think there should be more stickies with this kind of beginner info. Another good one would be details about water changes. Maybe you or someone with your knowledge could write one?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Agree, this information must be posted in every aquarium forum. The concentrations and dilution instructions will be very helpful. Names of chemicals just not enough, since without proper use they will bring more harm then good.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why not ask these questions in the forums where more people will see them? I think the forums for each state see less traffic than the 'regular' forums.

Anyway, water changes...

Here are some tips developed for non-planted tanks, or heavily stocked tanks. They are still quite valid for planted tanks, too.

Do enough water changes (frequency and volume) to keep the NO3 under 40 ppm if you are keeping relatively durable fish. Half that (20 ppm max) if you are keeping delicate fish.

Make sure the new water matches the TDS, GH, temperature, KH and pH of the water the fish are used to.
These parameters are written in order of importance.
ie: the TDS and GH ought to match within 10%.
The temperature and KH can vary a bit, and the pH can be quite far off, as long as the mineral levels are pretty close.

Use the water drained from the tank to clean the filter.

Do not do a heavy cleaning on the tank AND the filter in one go. Give the microorganisms a chance to recover, do such heavy cleanings a week or two apart.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

HC survived 60 seconds dip in bleach, and growing well after the dip. Once at the Aquatic Gardening Convention in 2008 in Atlanta, we had a speaker that was working with tissue culture, and I remember that he was pointing out that to clean (sterilized) the plant for culture, they used bleach solution and alcohol. It helps the plant to fight fungus and bacteria, and actually helped the plant to grow in a special media that was used for culture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode