PH question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
PH question

So I haven't had much time for my tanks in the last year, life getting in the way. I just decided to check the PH and in my 40b I get a reading of 7.6! It was btwn 6.8-7.0. Other then water changes which I'm going to do after this and I did one last week...is there anything else to do to get it down?

How long do API test kits last? I've had this at least 1 1/2 years. Just tested my 75 and that's 6.0! which used to be 6.4-6.8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:51 PM
ptr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
The API test kit has a 2nd bottle for pH over 7.4. Do you read 7.6 with this test as well ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
- RAOK club #2 -
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I didn't but I got a new kit because that one must have been closer to 2 years old. I just tested the water again and it's in the normal range. Looks btwn 6.8-7.0, I did do a water change that night which was the second one in a weeks time. Seems ok now, must have been the kit. Maybe there is a time to use them before they have to go. Thanks for the suggestion, should have thought of that.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
PH will fluctuate in the tank but its more likely the High versus low PH test that raise eyebrows. the API master kit usually comes with both.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

The pH is interesting, have you verified the reading?

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Water Chemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnfins View Post
So I haven't had much time for my tanks in the last year, life getting in the way. I just decided to check the PH and in my 40b I get a reading of 7.6! It was btwn 6.8-7.0. Other then water changes which I'm going to do after this and I did one last week...is there anything else to do to get it down?

How long do API test kits last? I've had this at least 1 1/2 years. Just tested my 75 and that's 6.0! which used to be 6.4-6.8.
Hello furn...

The water chemistry is only important to those with rare fish. Those you can't get at local pet stores. For the others, a constant water chemistry is all you need. Most aquarium fish are fine with a stable pH of 6 to even 8.5.

Keep the water chemistry stable with large, routine water changes and the fish and the plants will be fine.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
For the others, a constant water chemistry is all you need. Most aquarium fish are fine with a stable pH of 6 to even 8.5.
Interesting. I understood that anything below 6.5 could prevent nitrification bacteria from living?? Anyone confirm this?

Ok, just did some research. Seems that at 6.0, the nitrification bacteria don't die, they simply become less efficient, to the point of 5.5 where they stop altogether. At pH 6, its around 10% efficient.

This is very interesting for those who enjoy reading about bacterial ecology structure

http://aem.asm.org/content/64/10/3584.full

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

Last edited by Okedokey; 09-23-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added interesting read
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Water Chemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
Interesting. I understood that anything below 6.5 could prevent nitrification bacteria from living?? Anyone confirm this?

Ok, just did some research. Seems that at 6.0, the nitrification bacteria don't die, they simply become less efficient, to the point of 5.5 where they stop altogether. At pH 6, its around 10% efficient.

This is very interesting for those who enjoy reading about bacterial ecology structure

http://aem.asm.org/content/64/10/3584.full
Hello Ok...

A perfect reason for large, frequent water changes. By removing the dissolved forms of nitrogen in the water regularly, your good bacteria is never stressed.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you all, very interesting. I've heard so many things about PH from it means nothing to just the opposite. I read today btw that the test kits last only 6 months to be accurate...according to an aquarium blogger I found today. My 75g is at 6.0 PH, which I would think is not too good for plants, to acid? I really need to take that tank apart and redo but can't bring myself to do it. I'd love to rescape and put new substate in. My 40g is still at 6.8-7.0 hard to tell. I read adding baking soda a tsp. for every 5 gals. was helpful in bringing up PH if needed. Maybe I'll add some bags of crushed coral to the eheim when I clean it next time, should help a bit. Thanks again
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Dare I Say It... I Dare, I Dare!

Hi,

Kind of depends on the plants, but, mainly it is the critters that object to pH down in the 6.0 range, though there are critters that demand or at least prefer pH in the sub 6.0 range.

While it is true the nitrifying bacteria do not do so well under pH 6.5, it is equally true that total ammonia presents itself as primarily ammonium (virtually 100%) under pH 6.5. At reasonable level ammonium is not toxic, and is in fact, very available to plants without any help from the bugs.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode