Non-related to fish: SNOW SALT?!?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
Non-related to fish: SNOW SALT?!?!

Has anyone seen any snow salts for sale? Called up like 10 local hardware stores and they were all sold out. Bought 10 bags this season and now I'm down to half a bag. Anyone know of any stores that still have a bag or two?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 GAL DISCUS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
You should have asked the hardware stores when they're getting their NEXT delivery. When it comes to snow, people always seem to wait till the LAST minute before they buy replacement shovels & ice melt. They also sell ice melt at grocery stores too.

I'm picking up about 400lbs of traction/salt mix in the next 24 hours. We have another storm coming in this Tuesday.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I don't think theyre gonna restock cause leftovers would have to be storaged until next winter. I need a new shovel too. One of mine cracked two days ago. This morning I spent 4 hours with a hammer crouched on the sidewalk

55 GAL DISCUS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

During the winter, ice melt is one of their most popular items at the hardware store. I know my local hardware store down the street receives shipments every single day especially if there's a storm in the forecast.

You can't use a shovel on ice, just not strong enough. That's what those ice chippers are for, it allows you to get UNDER to break it up. However with the type of sub zero temperatures we're getting at night, once it starts to melt, even an ice scraper won't do anything. Almost impaled myself SEVERAL times trying to break up a nice chunk of ice on the sidewalk before I gave up.

Once the snow compacts & freezes, unless it's 35 degrees & sunny out I'm not going to bother.

I might have to buy one of these yellow/orange shovels the next time I see them at Lowes or Home Depot. I sort of broke the grey one trying to bash a icicle the size of a grown man's leg.

Winter is FAR from being over. We have almost 2 months left. I'm not bringing back 400lbs of salt for fun. I'm definitely going to need it. Just call the stores & find out when their next delivery is.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a ice chipper, but it didn't do much so I broke out the hammer. Where is the hardware store located?

55 GAL DISCUS

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just by water softener salt

Jkaz
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol I saw someone using aquarium salt the other day. I was like that guy is either really desperate or really rich.

55 GAL DISCUS

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I bought the yellow/orange shovel yesterday but it did not fit in my car so I returned it. it's a pretty solid plastic construction and I don't think it can break ice too well; I think you will break the shovel before you break the ice actually. There were these other blue ones at half the cost there also that had steel/metal at the tip that I would be much more confident in breaking the ice with, so you may want to look for that one.

20g High Tank:

Mini-M Low Tech Desk Tank:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have this ice chipper thats like a metal blade. Still wouldn't work and I didnt want to use it on the pavers cause it could scratch the pavers

55 GAL DISCUS

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 01:01 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The blue one is an ice scraper or ice chipper. You use the top of the black to CHOP or get UNDER the ice. Using it to get UNDER the ice is best way.
  • Don't forget the safety goggles & watch where you chop with the blade. You can easily sever your toe if you're careless.

Worked fine for the past storms, but this latest one we were hit with that had a combination of snow/ice/rain mix really messed everything up BAD.

Shovels are not meant to be used as ice breakers. I've broken/bent plenty before I learned ice chippers are what you need.

Those are the 5 I ended up buying, but the only one that does the job is the VINTAGE ones on the far right from the 70's or 80's I bought from an estate sale.
  • The new chippers don't work as well as they look.

Sidewalks & most cleared areas are frozen SOLID. For the next 2-3 days I'm going to treat all walkways before I sleep & as carefully as possible first thing in the morning.

Last edited by MSG; 02-22-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode