grindal worms - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
grindal worms

does anyone have any i can purchase to begin my own culture? must be pest free please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

found'em. thanks!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
If anybody has extra I would like to purchase a starter culture as well.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy201 View Post
It would be great if you guys were a little more specific in the location field in your profiles. Not you specifically, but generally. Ain't nobody gonna stalk you if you tell people you live in Utica. I live in Syracuse and I have grindal worms but I'm not all that excited about shipping them in this 5F weather. Pickup would be a different story.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy201 View Post
Where in NY are you?

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
It would be great if you guys were a little more specific in the location field in your profiles. Not you specifically, but generally. Ain't nobody gonna stalk you if you tell people you live in Utica. I live in Syracuse and I have grindal worms but I'm not all that excited about shipping them in this 5F weather. Pickup would be a different story.
I should have been more specific on where I live. Yeah I would be hesitant to ship anything with the weather we are having in NY at the moment as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
Where in NY are you?
I live in NYC.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have some guys.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think we need to take a poll of what substrate you guys prefer and how you prepare it.

I actually yearn, wish, and pray that there was a truly comprehensive source for keeping these and white worms. There's so much crap on the net about them that it's really hard to get useful information other than "I just throw some potting soil in there with a little lime once in a while". Am I off on this or just a little bit too anal about it? I'm always struggling with coir vs. potting soil vs. peat moss vs. wetness vs. foods vs. etc etc etc...soil-less? Mites? How do you transfer your worms from the old sub to new? Wash the sub and add it and the worms to the new sub? Train the worms to one side of the box?

Hahaha I am not a great worm farmer but I do manage to keep them alive and productive enough to overfeed nightly.

For instance, I got a wine chiller about a month ago and a starter of white worms. I mixed up some coir and put most of them in it, and then I kept the original starter soil and added more soil to it to see which worked better. So far they just seem to be "meh" and don't reproduce anywhere near as quickly as the grindals. I don't know if my temp is too low (52 on the middle shelf and about 58 on the top) or whether it's the food I'm feeding them (wet bread - they wouldn't touch the bread with plain yogurt on it)... I scratch my head and read and read and read and I have still no idea why they aren't taking off. I haven't killed them yet and they look healthy. Just not interested in reproducing. Then I go to YouTube and I see videos like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTr3homK34Q
This makes me jelly. Also he keeps them on the floor so this makes me wonder whether my chiller is too cool. Which would suck because this unit has very little adjustability in the control. Maybe 5-8F.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I've ditched the soil and coir and went with scouring pads for my grindals. It takes a bit of time for them to get established and there's a little bit more maintenance but there has been no mites at all.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
I scratch my head and read and read and read and I have still no idea why they aren't taking off. I haven't killed them yet and they look healthy. Just not interested in reproducing.
They take a few months to get going. Since they like cooler climates, they do reproduce slower compared to grindals.
The yogurt is a pretty good idea actually. They can use the extra protein and the biotics in yogurt keep the mold level down. I should try that for my grindals. No mold issues for the whiteworms since they're in the fridge.
Oh, and grindals can't live in whiteworms temps. I experimented.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Mites have taken me on side journeys to hydroponic forums (pot growers mostly) and many many county cooperative extension sites to read obscure technical white papers and other esoterica to try and get a handle on ways to reduce or eliminate them in the cultures. From mite paper to mothballs. I have learned that you can drown them (they float) or starve them by not feeding the culture for a few days. I currently have 4 worm boxes that are (knock on wood and everything holy) mite free at the moment.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
lol, i thought ny ny would be sufficient as that's the address..

anyways, i've been researching as well and seems like one of the more recent ways of culturing these guys is the soilless, scrub pad method. as for getting fruit flies and mites out, i think filter floss is the only method i've read so far. and even that i think isn't 100% right? who knows..
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If anybody has extra I would also like to purchase a starter culture. I live in near Boston.
thank you for your help.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
They take a few months to get going. Since they like cooler climates, they do reproduce slower compared to grindals.
The yogurt is a pretty good idea actually. They can use the extra protein and the biotics in yogurt keep the mold level down. I should try that for my grindals. No mold issues for the whiteworms since they're in the fridge.

Yea it seems like a good idea to me, too. I decided I'd make my own greek yogurt after seeing the prices on it lately. Not bad!! If I could get these worms to agree with me I'd be a happy man. Dave Ramsey (youtube vids) uses it too.

I will continue with what I'm doing then. I figured they were slower but not THIS slow. I have to assume that the guy in the video is showing us very mature worm boxes and that the worms he harvested had been eating on the bread/yogurt for several days to be able to accumulate that many in one giant clump like that.

Cheers
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
instead of other food, others have used yogurt as their main source of food? this mgiht be a stupid question but. . .

does flavored yogurt matter? hahahah im so serious though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode