Tank too small for Goldfish - Algae infiltration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Tank too small for Goldfish - Algae infiltration

Hey Guys,

About a year ago I bought two dojo loaches and placed them in my 40 gallon breeder (with 30 gallon sump) with a shubunkin goldfish (about 4 years old) and a one year old oranda. I am beginning to think that was a big mistake. The fish are out growing the tank and I no longer think it is right for them all to be together in the tank. It saddens me but I think I need to rehome the goldfish. I think they might be getting too big for my tank. What do you guys think? (pictures attached). Should I rehome the loaches? Also, over the last few weeks I've had an algae infiltrate my tank. They are all over my anubias. Any suggestions what kind of algae this is? I've attached a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish.jpg (80.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20131218_220815.jpg (107.3 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
the algae is BBA....and yah, those goldfish are getting big.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (362/100%)
Ditch all plants ..not worth the trouble cleaning the plants..considering those sp. are relatively cheap. Goldfish are for ponds :Start over with some tropical fish and plants.

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
hi Kai,

You likely have a high concentration of organic waste which the algae is taking advantage of. The overflow box is showing evidence of algae so i'd be curious to ask how long the lights are kept on. Planted tanks can safely run on 6-7 hours of light a day.

Considering the plants are in pots, you can take them out and dip them in peroxide for 10-15 seconds then return to the tank.

Given that you have a 30 gallon sump, the water volume in the tank is more than sufficient to sustain your two goldfish and loaches. It's true that a smaller species fish may be happier in a 40g breeder but your tank is fine as it is.

Maybe its worth taking a look to see if the sump or overflow needs cleaning.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies.

City, I have been leaving the lights on for about 8-10 hours a day and even though I clean the gravel every week, there is always a lot of organic material on the bottom of the tank. Goldfish are very very messy.

Maybe my bioballs (in the sump) are harboring nitrates. I will have to take a look at my set up tonight. I will clean my overflow this weekend.

Joraan, I've had the oldest fish for 3 years now. I am a bit attached and if I had to rehome them I would want them to go to a nice home.

Is BBA harmful to the fish or just aesthetically unpleasing to look at.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
BBA isnt harmful, just something that detracts from the beauty of the other plants in the tank. Having kept goldfish for over 7 years, i used to gravel vac quite frequently as well to keep the waste from collecting in the substrate. This might also be worth doing if the sump is not processing the nitrates faster than the goldies are producing.

If you are cleaning the sump, just make sure to remove all the gunk and debris you can reach and keep it running. There should be prefilters that catch a lot of the initial waste that enters the sump. this might be worth washing clean.

Let us know how you get on after the cleaning... btw, your fish look very healthy!

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

City, the driftwood in the tank was to blame for the nitrates. I removed it from the tank and my nitrate levels have dropped drastically and remain on the lower end right before the next water change.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Algae Grower

It so nice to see some well behaved Goldfish. I have a 55gal and a 40b with them and I just had to remove the last Anubias before they totally destroyed it. I tried live plants with them for a couple of years and they just wore me out. They have been like an out of control gang of hoodlums if they didn't enjoy eating it they would just rearrange it and make a mess. LOL
So now I do both separately Goldfish- no plants their loss and Plants with tropical fish. Take Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode