Anything in Westchester? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Anything in Westchester?

Any luck with places in Westchester county?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
petgoods on central ave by jackson ave in yonkers is expanding there store
Im not too thrilled with them
also exotic pet warehouse also on central ave near yonkers raceway
the place is a dump but they have nice fish

both stores are nothing to brag about but If anyone else knows of any store let us all know
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for the response. Exotic is so grosly expensive. Petgoods is not so hot either, but at least they have some interesting plecos now and then and the guys in the fish section are nice enough people.

We need to encourage someone to get in more plants! These shipping charges are killing me! If you're ever looking to order plants online and you want someone to go in with you to split the shipping let me know- there's always something new I am looking for even if I don't have the space for it!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

- The one thing about exotic- if you ever need something wierd in a hurry (like a medication for sick fish) they will order it for you and they receive deliveries two or three times a week. He'll bang you over the head for it, but if you need it right away it is less expensive than paying for overnight shipping.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
One other thing about exotic, he used to buy the fish that outgrew my tank before I knew any better. i.e. 6" bala shark, 7 inch irrid. Shark, 12" common pleco.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus
... Petgoods is not so hot either, but at least they have some interesting plecos now and then and the guys in the fish section are nice enough people.

We need to encourage someone to get in more plants!
I was there a couple of days ago and they seemed to have gotten rid of the round glass tank where they kept their ' aquatic' plants for sale, which is a good thing actually, because out of ten plants they kept in there only 1-2 were truly aquatic.
I don't really have a favorite LFS in the whole Westechester area, at least not one that I could recommend plantwise, but, the 2 PETCOS in Central Ave. once in a blue moon get some nice fish specimens worth their expensive prices.
If you are willing to drive a little further north, to Greenwich, CT. you'll find Pet Pantry Warehouse, just two blocks away from Greenwich Train Station, but then again not a great plant selection there but the place actually looks very clean and well organized .Good fishie selection most of the time and healthy looking also. Kind of expensive though.
Also, if you're interested in going CO2, the pressurized sort, just next door is the Welding Equipment & Supply Corp.
I got my CO2 tank there a few months ago.
Paid $80 for a 5 lb tank. Full and shiny.
Just my 2+2 cents.
Rafo

We made it !!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:50 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
exotics is good if you want cichlids, they have tons, and saltwater

i just had going in there due to how he keeps the reptiles...its truely disgusting

and the petcos, i baught a nice angel there that wiped out my entire stock..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since there really isn't anywhere local with a good plant selection I am going to be ordering some plants online. If anyone in westchester wants to get together and split the shipping let me know and we'll work out the logistics. I don't care where we order from either- no one has all of the varieties I want (thank goodness- becasue that would eb one BIG shipment!) and I have had good experiences with the following:
aquabotanic would be first on my list, but I would also go with aquariumgarden.com, az gardens, or pets-warehouse.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Try it you might like it.

Hey Turbo -
Have you thought of a trip over the TZ, or GW?
There are a lot of great places on my new side of the river. I’ll give you a break down based on distance.

Route 4 Aquarium on route 4 (duh!) is under new ownership, and making lots of good changes plants selection was still being set up last week. It's about 10 minutes past Ikea, and Garden State Plaza.
If you are ever in north west Rockland county, there's a place on 17S called Fishtown USA. (~ 20 – 30 minutes from the palisades mall) They just recently expanded their planted tanks.
There are a couple places on route 46:
“In the fish tank” I stopped by when it was new, they should have more now.
“Absolutely Fish”, has great selection at high prices. Sometimes they are too busy.

Then if you want to make a day trip out of it, there are a ton more on Route 22, Pet Shanty, Shark Aquarium, etc….take a look in the NJ forum to get a good idea of what is there.

Compared to what I saw in westchester when I lived there, You won’t be disappointed.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I sent out to Brooklyn to aquatic creations and although their freshwater selection was quite small it is FANTASTIC. I walked in owning 70+ species of plants and STILL found plants I was looking for in that place- and the most incredible rainbows! They were incredible and now they are all mine- I can't wait to go back out there. I bought a type of bylaxa,some wierd hairgrass, a nuphar japonica that is beautiful, a new groundcover I had never heard of before, a barclaya longifolia- which I have been looking for for some time, and true SAE

I could see how someone could walk in and be dissapointed at the size, but if you're like me and you have almost everything that can be found in your local pet-co and want to look for the less common stuff then this is a wonderful place to go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode