Fishy adventure over the holiday - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Fishy adventure over the holiday

I was visiting my folks this week and stopped by a nearby fish store called Blue Fish Aquarium. Just want to say what a lovely store that is. Blue Fish Aq's stock had lotsa healthy nano-fish, apistos, cichlids, plants and mosses, their tanks were all scaped to some degree, and best of all (at least to me) were the Orange Otos! Nannoptopoma sp. "Peru" XDDD I actually went back later in the day and bought the 4 remaining. I lucked out in that the guy helping me was the co-owner, can tell he really loves the hobby. During that lull in conversation where he's catching the fish he asks me outta the blue "so how many tanks do you have?" LOL!!! He says that the kind of customer he gets are mostly geeks like us so it's predictable. And then I find out he has 36 tanks and his own fish room T___T and is founder of their local fish society for 16 years. I can see Albert being that guy in 16 years, with his own giant drool-worthy fish store lol. (*makes a wish)

They even had a vivarium/terrarium section (Oh, and a giant saltwater section...). And that reminds me, someone here was looking for a shoplight fixture that supported multiple cfl bulbs, was it? Anyway, a terrarium hood is an option.

Anyway, to get the fish home is a 12 hr drive through storm Euclid. The fish guy (Jeff) packs them neatly in separate baggies, added hornwort because I was worrying, does the O2 thing and tucks them into a styrofoam container. <3 He even offered a heatpack but was out of them at the moment.

It's so nice to chaffeur your own fishies home rather than put them through post.... and the fishies are home. And acclimated. Munching away. Aren't they sweet?

Actually that's all I have to share. My phone freezes everytime I try to upload the pics I took in the store. Boo! But I will be back, haha.

If you celebrate, I hope you had a Merry and Happy one! Happy New Years all!

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash
Transporting livestock across state lines? Oh no!

Kidding, awesome Otos!

-Calvin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Beautiful! great find Ju!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are they full sized? They look amazing!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Awesome adventure there
Nice fish too.

"Semper Fi"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sweet! Super find, I love otto's and I don't even have any yet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)
Hey, you scored! These suckers are not only rare but when imported may die for no apparent reason and without warning whatsoever.

Over the holidays I got about 40 fish from Petco. This was a predictable tragedy. All of them get some form of Ich, some die some not. Best part is they give something to the other fish in my tanks and some recover but some die with no apparent reason.

So, good luck with your otos. If they have been in the store for more than a week I think you are good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Thats one beautiful oto J. And thats a lot of variety in one store! Would love to check out that store one day. 11 hour drive.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Thanks all. Since these were an impulse buy I've been doing my homework ever since, it sounds like they're pretty hard to keep well and happy for more than a year so wish me luck.

Otos are my favorite. But this is not actually an Oto but a Nannoptopoma sp. They look and behave quite differently from my O.affinis, macrospilus, and cocamas. They don't school (at least, not my 4), they don't really glide through the currents like an Oto will, but do prefer to be in it. I need to stay up late to watch them and see if they're different then.

Jake, I've never kept them before to know their full size but they are currently the same size as my O.affinis (~1.25"). They are very different however, clearly not Otocinclus.

And niko, they were in the shop two weeks before I met them

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode