How long before my clowns need a bigger tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long before my clowns need a bigger tank?

Hi every one, I have a 20 gallon tall set up in my livving room and can fit (eventually) a long tank (48") so it might be replaced with a something from 55, to 33 long but not just yet. In the mean time I made the mistake of taking some poor advice and moved some clown loaches in to this (what I now realize) much too tiny tank for them. Will they be ok for a while untill I can move them into something bigger? What's the ideal size tank for them? I wonder if I should find them a new home while there still young and small.

Any advise would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thye can get up to 12" but I am sure that'll be a long time.

I had 3 of them almost 3 years and it was in a 90G tank. Before that it was already in a tank at my former work place for unknowns years before I joined them.

They were around 3-4" when I took them and when they died the biggest was about 6-7" though instead of growing longer it was growing more in height wise. They were slow growers.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
They are slow growers, but they still can get a foot long.

I say plan around each fish getting to be 8", and realize that they like a lot of movement and to be with a lot of their own species. I would say, 75 is the smallest that I think is wise, but really, something longer would probably be better as well.

I've always felt that clown loaches are a hard fish to figure out exactly what to do with.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Based on loaches.com, not personal experience, they really should be in a 6' tank eventually, though I think a 4' is fine for several years. They really aren't suitable fish for most people with their delicacy, eventual size and desire for companions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode