Cube Thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cube Thread

Hi Everyone! I found a cube i like from a lps. Im going today to pick it up not sure if Im going with the 20 gallon or the 29 gallon yet. Ill post pix today when Im setting it up.
I do have a cpl of questions maybe you all could help me with.
Right now Im thinking a species tank with 6 pygmy puffers(that could change). No co2 and a mixture of fake and real plants. I want white sand for the bottom with java ferns tied to a tree branch and a few tall live bamboo plants in the tank along with some stones for hiding places.
What size filter should I get? I hear they are messy so get a larger filter then you normally would but then I hear they dont like too much flow?
Will plants grow in just that white sand? Or do I need to add something under it? I know I will need to dose with excel.
Any input is greatly apprecated.
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay so I couldnt get the white sand they didnt have any :-( I bought florite and some lava rocks but now Im thinking I may just fill it with tree branches. I dont think the lights I have are strong enough. Thats fine because I have a 40 gallon with live plants. I may take a few Java fern and tie them to some of the tree branched toward the top to see how they do. Here are some pix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-13 20.22.38.jpg (94.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-13 20.22.50.jpg (32.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-14 00.22.05.jpg (45.6 KB, 8 views)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yeah thats fifi in the first pic making sure I bought the correct items. ps I went with the 27 gallon was a little more but the stand was alot nicer.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
I'd throw another beamswork light on there.

I'm relatively sure that's what you have. Yeah they won't look great on the tank.

I have a similar light on a 7" tall tank, and I'm still relatively sure it doesn't hit solid medium light.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

*Retired for now*
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks MABJ I busted the budget today I have to save to get fish and decorations. Its no big deal really if I dont have plants I have a 40 planted tank. I may try a few crypts just to see how they do. What do you think about mostly tree branches and rocks?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
nice setup but i would skip on the fluval heater. Mine was broken out of the box and i quickly exchanged it. I think i recall reading on the packaging that it isn't fully submersible or something.... its been a few months.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Thanks MABJ I busted the budget today I have to save to get fish and decorations. Its no big deal really if I dont have plants I have a 40 planted tank. I may try a few crypts just to see how they do. What do you think about mostly tree branches and rocks?
Well I think you should be careful about which branches you put in, but yeah I have two unique rock and Manzy branch tanks. They're in my signatures if you ever want to see

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks acitydweller wish I would have known about the heater.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks MABJ
I checked out your tanks and love them. I def like the one with the big piece of wood. Thats pretty much what I had in mind one big piece like that with maybe a few smaller branches. Ive also been watching the tank today to see how much nature light it gets. Its in one of the brightest rooms in my apt. It get very strong indirect sun light so maybe some java ferns and crypts. The good thing is I have a few in my 40 that I can put in the new tank just to see how they do
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Invert Warrior

Nice. Well thanks for the compliments and feel free to follow along and comments.

Definitely take a picture for us. You might put lots of driftwood in here and get some moss going!

I'll be following along.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks MABJ
Please feel free to chime in at anytime if you think I may be headed down the wrong road with something.
patrick
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok time for an update.
Tank has been up since last thur. I put about 15 gallon of water from my 40 gallon in the new tank as well as a few lava rocks one scoop of soil and a cpl of plants as well as a few floating plants. Today Im going to trade some of the bio beads from the 40 with the new tank. I have also put in a baby endler in the tank and have put in a few flakes every other day. Do you all think this tank will bve cycled by the 5th of jan? That will be little over 4 weeks of cycling?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-17 14.41.47.jpg (62.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-17 14.42.01.jpg (66.4 KB, 1 views)
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Invert Warrior

I'm personally against fish in cycling, as that is the same as poisoning your fish.

There have been many discussions on the morality of it, so I will not go there.

I just personally recommend removing it, and in its place substitute an air stone. The air stone will help the bacteria a lot.

If you want an even faster cycle, just add snails and 1/4 you bio media from your 40. It should cycle in days.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks mabj I figured since it had been up for a few days one tiny fish would be fine. It's easy enough to remove him. I'm going to excahang some bio media today. I also have a col of snails I can put in there
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Thanks mabj I figured since it had been up for a few days one tiny fish would be fine. It's easy enough to remove him. I'm going to excahang some bio media today. I also have a col of snails I can put in there
Cool the snails and a few flakes will get you started just fine. It cycled my spec in less than 24 hours.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode