Hurricane Sandy Aid - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Hurricane Sandy Aid

Where are you all helping at? Let me know. We've been dropping supplies in the no-power zone, looking for more that we can do. Please do include any help you find for others affected like Haiti or the DR.

I can personally say that these people are doing an incredible job at general relief in the LES/Chinatown areas. They're technically activists but they're doing relief work right now because it's the right thing to do. A city shelter actually came to them for help when they needed supplies. But supplies are going fast, kids were allowed to cut so they could get food and water. FEMA finally showed up yesterday but there's still work to be done, elderly and disabled people are still trapped in their homes with no water, no heat. Temps are down in the 30s tonight. If you decide to donate, they need mostly WATER, FOOD, and BATTERIES (AA,AAA,D).
http://caaav.tumblr.com/
Pics from yesterday http://photoset.com/44aael9e

Drop off is in Chinatown at 46 Hester St. x Essex. The office is open 10-6. And now, reaching out to Flushing too.

You don't have to speak Chinese to help, but it's useful if you decide to volunteer to check on those who are stuck in their homes.

I'm so glad to see most of you are ok, but it's the ones that aren't here, that are silent that are obviously affected. Saw that the BK Aquarium is closed indefinitely too, but hear that the baby Walrus Mitik is ok. Does anyone have any news from Staten Island? :/

Saw this posted today:

I should have made this post yesterday.

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I love CAAAV!

Legacy of Monona Yin!

*goes off to update donations*
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)

awesome initiative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Only two replies huh?

Power is returning to Manhattan, but the work is far far from over.
This site provides information how you can help. http://interoccupy.net/occupysandy/ Even spreading the word via social media helps to coordinate the effort. Donation drop-offs are all over the city.

Hang in there, all.

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Nice job J with everything you are doing.

Update : my family just called to tell me that power was back for most of them late last evening ! Great!

While power is slowly being restored downtown, Village and LES, most of Chinatown is still without electricity or running water for that matter. It's really bad down there...I have family in zone A who were reluctant at first to evacuate but conditions continue to deteriorate each day that passes. Hopefully, things improve after this weekend.

take care
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (61/100%)
our building in exchange pl got power back around 1am this morning (busy busy) and yes ppl from fema and other organization are distributing water and food, great job. as far as i know most of the chinatown power were restored yesterday. Streets are still without power from what i heard from a coworker this morning as they come to work.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
our building in exchange pl got power back around 1am this morning (busy busy) and yes ppl from fema and other organization are distributing water and food, great job. as far as i know most of the chinatown power were restored yesterday. Streets are still without power from what i heard from a coworker this morning as they come to work.
Did chinatown flood? I tried to find out via google, but I am not sure. If so, which parts?

Nikon Pimp #82
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (61/100%)
i am not sure, but def. the financial district, some of our coworkers parked their car in water st and flooded, i guess total lost.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://nyaquarium.org/ Wildlife Conservation Society is now taking donations for the New York Aquarium.

I'm pretty wiped just from trying to make sure work is running off a generator. :/ Any of those organizations taking monetary donations? I hate to say it but I would be useless as a volunteer right now, and I might even be working tomorrow (not sure yet).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/97%)
so is this about right? I wasn't able to see much from the news.
http://imgur.com/gallery/2hZAZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode