Storm Prep, HELP ME - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Storm Prep, HELP ME

Yah...so...I kind of have no idea per say on what I should do to prepare my fishtanks for the comming storm. If we lose power for a significant amount of time I'm probably going to be freaking out, especially because I won't be home with them cause I'll be on campus. Luckily, I am home with the tank until mid afternoon sunday, so until then, what can I do to prepare my tanks?

I'm worried specifically about my large 75 due to the fact that it is recovering from an ammonia spike that occured when 16 mystery snails simultaneously died...(that was NOT a fun time)

So far, I think I'll do a slight water change 2morrow morning, and try and get some sort of battery powered airpump of something in the meantime. Give me all of your ideas though, I really need them.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
assume there might be no electricity or water for up to a week at your home. go from there

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm figuring that honestly. I'm just not 100% sure on what to do about the lack of filters. I'm guessing for right now that a battery powered aerator would be a good idea, and that I should do water changes before this thing hits, but is there anything else I can do?

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Like stated above, plan for a weeks worth of water.

You could always run a generator for a fraction of the day if you have one.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
at a bare minimum, you must have some form of circulation in the water. stagnant water turns foul in hours unless its heavily planted in which case, youll likely run into the next problem in 48 -72 hours with lack of light and plants starting to diminish and wither. battery powered air pump is a good investment

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Might want to stock up on your favorite ammonia neutralizer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode