Bye Hurricane Sandy, Hello Nor'easter thread is here - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Well thangsgiving and Xmas are such festive times of the year. Besides, who expects a hurricane in late October/November... I mean seriously.... This isn't summer anymore.

More to come. Someone said in passing the store is forecast to hit Delaware but I'm still going to get my rain gear on and work from home. I am not going to walk home from mahanttan again... Did that twice in two years, 9/11, then the following year for the NYC blackout.
you walked home from the city! you must have been half dead when you got home.

I have a 400 watt charger we use for filling tires and plugging in lamps etc during a storm. Hopefully it'll work on my tanks if needed. It sounds like the storm is being downgraded from hurricane. I hope it's raining hard in the morning or we go to our dog club rain or shine, so I'm praying for some heavy rains in the morning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm all set for the storm my entire tank can run for almost 2 days off a 12volt battery and a 400watt inverter, My largest consumers of power will be my 2 150watt heaters thankfully one can heat the tank 99% of the time. My lights are a Diy Led system I built total wattage is 48watts and my filter is about 40watts and a very small air pump that draws less the n 15watts. I have no livestock as of yet so no need to worry about water changes.

Canon Pimp Club #066, SunSun Pimp #75, Fraternity of Dirt #114,
DIY Stand Build -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55G Dirted Tank Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Being upstate we dont get it as bad but Irene got us Really bad, so im a little bit nervous here. What im reading here says 2 feet of snow on coast, and in land a bit if we get hit, snow+Leaves= big mess and disaster, and to think we just got over Irene this summer. wow

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude

post #19 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash
So if the power does go out, how long can I expect the bacteria in my canister filter to live? Is there anything I can do to slow down a die off?

-Calvin
post #20 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Mouth to mouth to circulate the water maybe though I wouldn't recommend it. Bacteria actually stays alive for quite a while contrary to popular belief unless we are talking about a week or longer without power. If that were the case, bacteria would likely be the least of your concern.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #21 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
Seems like it's just me but I could really care less about my tanks, I feel our well being is more important if we are out of power, etc.

I went shopping for food, moved the car to another public garage because the one I'm in floods, got everything off the floor in the basement.

Storm is not here yet and roads in NJ are already flooding.

Albert, I feel for you. I can't believe you walked from manhattan back home. I wouldn't even be able to walk from flushing to where you are!!
post #22 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I hope everyone stays safe!
post #23 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Just did some water changes in case the power goes out. Usually it stays on in my neighborhood but I did them just to be safe.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #24 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Does anyone know if a RO/DI filter can filter out the stuff the city will put in the water after the storm?

I don't like the idea of being scared to do a water change. =x
post #25 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Did a water change on my 5.5. And got some battery powered pumps that should turn on when power goes out. Besides that. There is nothing much else I can do. ...well except pray that place doesn't flood with sea water! Lol!!

post #26 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Stay safe!
post #27 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnet View Post
Does anyone know if a RO/DI filter can filter out the stuff the city will put in the water after the storm?

I don't like the idea of being scared to do a water change. =x
Im under the impression it should filter everything out.
post #28 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I'm working under the same assumption too. Hopefully it does.

But Gordon had mentioned in the hurricane preparation thread that the city puts in some chemicals etc to kill off mold etc after a major storm. I don't know if its some super strong stuff that might get past.
post #29 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Someone else pointed out why that might not be true. I would really only be worried if we actually hear something about the water supply having an issue.

I have no experience with a RO/DI filter, but I would think it would still get everything.
post #30 of 367 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Good luck everyone. Hopefully everyone gets through this unscathed. I'm in NJ right off the Hudson, but up on the cliffs. I usually don't suffer the consequences that most do in times like these, but who knows with this. They are talking epic with this storm. I really hope it's not as bad as they are saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode