Relocation Thread: Mysterious Fish Deaths (Don't Look if You're Queasy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Relocation Thread: Mysterious Fish Deaths (Don't Look if You're Queasy)

Deleted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MeowKitty49; 04-14-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Deleting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Instead of the new plants, could it be from the ferts? Any sort of contamination?
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash
I cried myself to sleep when I lost all my fish to a ph/bacteria crash, so I've been there. It hurts.

Let's try to eliminate some possibilities.

Fish TB causes bloody sores, but it also causes lethargy and spine deformities. Have you seen anything like that?

If there were leeches, generally you would see some evidence of them, especially the circular sores. It doesn't look like that.

-Calvin

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The symptoms look like septicemia but my understanding is that septicemia is not contagious

-Calvin
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Septicemia is a blood infection caused by poor water quality. You'd also see pop-eye breaking out

My educated guess says that this is bacterial though. I'll keep working Google

-Calvin
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What we know: [Yes, No, Likely, Unlikely]

Lethargy? [N]
Deformity? [N]
Loss of Appetite [N]
Damage to fins, gills [?]
Popeye [N]
Poor water quality? [N]
Fert poisoning? [N]

Contagious? [L]
Bleeding sores? [Y]
Loss of equilibrium/trouble swimming? [Y]

Used medication? [?]

-Calvin
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
I want to say leech especially since it is bleeding. Leeches have a anti coagulant in their saliva which can cause the host to continue to bleed a short time after they detach. I remember readin in one of my text books that leeches that are too big and prey on frogs can often kill them since they suck out so much blood that the frog can no longer survive. Generally leeches don't kill. But mix match and its possible.

The other thing is that not all leeches are parasites. I had an infestation of leeches a long time ago but they never preyed on my fishes or shrimp. Only ate the garbage at the bottom of the tank. So in order to put the blame on the leeches, we have to know that they are parasitic.

Lastly I have no experience with septicemia but how fast was the onset? If it was leeches and something so small as a pygmy cory, I can understand how it can die in one day.

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think an anti-bacterial sounds necessary. Research is telling me that most disease causing bacteria is gram-negative, which is treated by Maracyn 2. This is sometimes combined with a UV sterilizer.

This will destroy the nitrifying bacterial colony too, but the bleeding and sores definitely sounds bacterial to me.

-Calvin
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.tran View Post
I want to say leech especially since it is bleeding. Leeches have a anti coagulant in their saliva which can cause the host to continue to bleed a short time after they detach. I remember readin in one of my text books that leeches that are too big and prey on frogs can often kill them since they suck out so much blood that the frog can no longer survive. Generally leeches don't kill. But mix match and its possible.

The other thing is that not all leeches are parasites. I had an infestation of leeches a long time ago but they never preyed on my fishes or shrimp. Only ate the garbage at the bottom of the tank. So in order to put the blame on the leeches, we have to know that they are parasitic.

Lastly I have no experience with septicemia but how fast was the onset? If it was leeches and something so small as a pygmy cory, I can understand how it can die in one day.
How big were your leeches? Is it possible that the leeches are too small to be seen? I have no experience with them

-Calvin
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
http://www.yamatogreen.com/dyingfish.htm

#5 maybe?

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Damn. Sounds like something that happened to me before. Introduced some odessa barbs into my tank and they were carrying something. Wiped out over half of my stock.

Anyways, from what I've seen and the symptoms you've listed, it sounds like septicemia.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...15#post2261715

It's highly contagious, so keep doing water changes to reduce the bacterial population in the water column. Look for a broad-spectrum antibiotic that's used for gram-negative bacteria. Hopefully you can eradicate it completely.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have had this same problem affect a Bronze Corydora in the past. I noticed he was breathing very heavily and then 2 hours late he was dead. He had a bright red blood spot just behind his gill area. The disease was too fast to even start some kind of treatment... even if I could have isolated the right type of treatment use.

The disease didn't spread to my other Corys so cannot say for sure what it was... I just put I down to septicaemia.

I personally would also suspect a bacterial problem rather than viral or parasitic... that said I'm not an expert. I agree with the previous suggestion of treating for a bacterial problem, it seems like a good place to start and concurred with what I have read in the past on this problem.

All the best mate, sorry about your loss.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking like its bacterial. You could either use an "antibacterial" that would kill bacteria or slow down bacterial reproduction and give the fish a chance to fight it off.

They don't sound lethargic and are eating. I think you should go with the latter option and spare damage to the bacterial colony.

-Calvin
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (33/100%)
Oh shoot this stinks!

I do not know much about fish illnesses either, going through something with mine as well (lost a beautiful harlequin rasbora this morning). So I cannot be of much help but to say I wish you good luck.

Sorry for your loss, positive vibes going your way.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I would definitely bet against the leeches. In general, parasites feed off of their host & require them to stay alive (although they may not be in healthy condition) in order for the parasite to thrive. A parasite's intention is not to kill the host....at least not this quickly (fine one day and dead the next day).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode