Greater City Aquarium Society (GCAS) Meet & auction [Nov 7] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Greater City Aquarium Society (GCAS) Meet & auction [Nov 7]

Hi all,

If you attended the previous event, we had a fun time and experienced a great auction for plants, fresh water fish and inverts. The details for the meeting are available at their website.

http://www.greatercity.org/

Hope to meet more forum members on the day. It will be the final auction for the year, excluding the one by b.a.s.

I am planning to attend this and also join the club. It's a $20 annual membership which includes their magazine and raffle tickets. You too can get a chance to win fish earrings!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

Last edited by acitydweller; 10-14-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Aquaria auction galore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)
I may join too, I joined BAS once but it was just too far.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Free admission. They just were a little bewildered at our numbers. The auction didn't start until late last time, like 9 pm.

Do we know what the talk will be about yet? Waffling on this one as I'm running pillar to post lately.

Also, I have to point out that apparently my family spent years going to that same parking lot Albert described; I just didn't realize that it was the same one. Suddenly it looked awfully familiar when we turned the corner ...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I will try to go! Does anyone know what time they end? I will probably need to take the Brooklyn Van home. Or is anyone from Brooklyn going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
Do we know what the talk will be about yet?
I looked up the speaker, and it looks like he's a cichlid man.

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Oh man. Is this on a Wednesday again? Dunno if I can make it. If I do, I'll have to race from class again. I can also give rides back to people in Queens if I go.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, Wednesday night. I have work day of and day after, but I did get moved to 10 am on Thursdays.

If we are still meeting Sunday Nov. 4th, I'll probably be too tired to make it to both events.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I was thinking of joining that club myself. It is a nice small club compared to BAS and much more organized. I wound up knowing one of the members, he's from the Bronx, I bought my super red BN's from him, really nice guy. I have to say I wasn't impressed with the auction at BAS this time around, these big auctions are usually really good. Actually next one should be very good because it's a 50/50, it'll bring out more of the breeders in the club, possible some of them knew and decided to save their donations till then.
Not sure yet if I can go that night, it is a dog training night for me and I missed it for Rachel, but if I go I'll take anyone from the Bensonhurst end of Brooklyn and surrounding area. I'll know this week.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am not certain I can do both events in the same week but the auction here was honestly a lot better than BAS not to mention the meeting facility is a whole lot nicer.

Monsterfish actually made it to the action after class last time, only missing the first 15 min. It probably ran a bit later due to technical difficulties with Rachel's pc needing to be restarted a few times and sonicpath doing his techsupport to recover mid meeting.

Might have to run a poll for either this event or the swap on sunday.

Also, I was considering doing a raffle at the swap for nano rimless tanks. Who wouldn't want to buy a raffle ticket for a dollar and take a new do aqua! or deep blue tank home? Well it's just a thought.

Everyone should checkout pfr's food swap thread since it seems we collectively have most if not all foods on the aquaria market now. Great opportunity to try out some quality stuff and see if your livestock likes the food before spending your hard earned cash on a big bottle that likely will last years. Also great for some to part out Thor larger bottles in hopes of swapping for variety as well.

All food for thought. Btw, thanks to each of you for making this hobby so much more than it was before. We all have jobs and life responsibilities beyond water changes and its nice to see the community growing.

Last edited by acitydweller; 10-14-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Need sleep
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I really want to goto this. food swap thread? where?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193175

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellie View Post
I looked up the speaker, and it looks like he's a cichlid man.
yep, this is true however the auction and its donations are largely based on their member contributions and what they keep. Based on the last auction, i dont recall many brackish livestock being listed other than the rabbit snails which were donated by Rachel. Lots of livebearers, plants and small fishes and even cherry and crystal shrimps, which i did not expect to see. I remember a few batches of ramshorn snails and some interesting stuff too.

The BAS auction was salt and brackish inclined and made me look forward to this one.

On a separate note, LMK if anyone's placing an order from rachel.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnfins View Post
I was thinking of joining that club myself. It is a nice small club compared to BAS and much more organized. I wound up knowing one of the members, he's from the Bronx, I bought my super red BN's from him, really nice guy. I have to say I wasn't impressed with the auction at BAS this time around, these big auctions are usually really good. Actually next one should be very good because it's a 50/50, it'll bring out more of the breeders in the club, possible some of them knew and decided to save their donations till then.
Not sure yet if I can go that night, it is a dog training night for me and I missed it for Rachel, but if I go I'll take anyone from the Bensonhurst end of Brooklyn and surrounding area. I'll know this week.
Is the 50/50 in Nov?

The grass isn't always greener in the other tank.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qckwzrd View Post
Is the 50/50 in Nov?
Yes I'm sure he said next months auction. I'll double check on fb and let you know. Last time they had the 50/50 there were some super nice fish and alot of plants. I thought this auction was one of the not so great, they've certainly had better.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
If there was no such thing as a Python, I don't think I would still be in the hobby...well, at least no tank bigger than like a 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowKitty49 View Post
Reviving an old thread...

So at the BAS one the Python guy was there. I wasn't at the last GCAS one, but does anyone know if he'll be at this one as well?

I absolutely regret not buying a 50 ft python from this guy. I bought an extension because some guy said it would work with the Aqueon. Pfffft, lies.

So I was looking for one on Amazon with prime/various other places. They run about $72 (not including shipping) on the company website and about $60 (not including shipping) everywhere else.

He was selling them for $44 *facepalm*. I wasn't going to go to this because it is a hassle for me to get there, but I think it's worth it for me to trek out and pick this up for myself.

Anyone know?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode