Enough co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question Enough co2?

Hi Everyone!
I have a 36 gallon planted tank with whats considered med light. My tank has been up and running for about 4 months now. Last week I bought a drop checker and it says my co2 is insufficient but Im counting 1-2 bubbles per second coming into the diffuser.I have my deffuser under my small hob filter to help spread the co2. Im starting to get algae on some of my plants. I dose 2x a week. I run my lights and co2 for about 10 hrs a day. Right now my fish are swimming and playing as normal none are at the top gasping for air. Im thinking I should turn the co2 up?
Thanks
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)
I would , but do it when you are home so you can watch the fish behavior . going back to bubbles per second thing ... unless all bubble counters were the same ( which they are not) you can't compare bps rates with other users...the bps on your counter will only be good for you to know what it should be(for future) , once you find that sweet spot.
Thats what I think anyways...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Kubalik
How long does it take for the color to start changing on my dc? Will the algae go away once I get the co2 at the correct levels? Oh Yeah I forgot Im doing weekly water changes of about 10 gallon.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)
DC(s) should take about 2 hours for a change in color. You will see the reaction in your live stock before you see the DC change color if you've dialed it too high. Are you using 4 dkh solution in the DC?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks rlswaney
right now the fish are all fine I just turned it up the tinniest bit will give it a cpl of hrs to see how that goes.
ps
Im from Augusta ga been up in nyc for about 20 yrs but go back 2x a yr to visit fam
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Thanks Kubalik
How long does it take for the color to start changing on my dc? Will the algae go away once I get the co2 at the correct levels? Oh Yeah I forgot Im doing weekly water changes of about 10 gallon.
it all depends on what caused the algae ... have you been stirring up the substrate , replanting , trimming latly ? if you haven't most likely increasing co2 will help ...good luck
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (363/100%)
Insufficient info: Need more info about light, filter etc....why 10 hours lighting, wasting energy...

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubalik View Post
it all depends on what caused the algae ... have you been stirring up the substrate , replanting , trimming latly ? if you haven't most likely increasing co2 will help ...good luck
Thanks Kubalik no havent been doing any planting or triming but I did put a new layer of sub in my tank a cpl of weeks ago
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
Insufficient info: Need more info about light, filter etc....why 10 hours lighting, wasting energy...
Thanks Joraan
for lights I have 3 led spot lights that I have pointed at high light plants then I have 48 watts of ho lights and a strip that came with the tank. I have 2 hob filters a small one not sure what the name is its for a 10 gallon tank then I have a Marineland filter its rated I think for a 40 gallon tank. I do water changes weekly I feed twice a day and I have about 30 fish that are all less than an inch.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok Ive made some adjustments.
1. Ive turned my timers so that my lights will be on for 7 hrs a day.
2. My co2 will now come on an hr before my lights and go off and hr before my lights.
3. I noticed since I had the diffuser under the smaller filter most of the bubbles were staying on one side of the tank so I moved it so its now under the larger hob filter and I can already see the difference in distribution of the bubbles.
4. I also turned up a tiny bit the co2 that is
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (363/100%)
Quote:
Thanks Joraan
for lights I have 3 led spot lights that I have pointed at high light plants then I have 48 watts of ho lights and a strip that came with the tank. I have 2 hob filters a small one not sure what the name is its for a 10 gallon tank then I have a Marineland filter its rated I think for a 40 gallon tank. I do water changes weekly I feed twice a day and I have about 30 fish that are all less than an inch.
It will be good if you diffuse co2 via canister, but it seems you have HOB, you can get small nano filter for less then $10 in petco and use it as co2 diffuser... this way co2 will be distributed all over...and extra is flow is always good for plants/fish.

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Ok Ive made some adjustments.
1. Ive turned my timers so that my lights will be on for 7 hrs a day.
2. My co2 will now come on an hr before my lights and go off and hr before my lights.
3. I noticed since I had the diffuser under the smaller filter most of the bubbles were staying on one side of the tank so I moved it so its now under the larger hob filter and I can already see the difference in distribution of the bubbles.
4. I also turned up a tiny bit the co2 that is

In #3 you say that co2 were visible only on one side of the tank... did the algea appear on that side of the tank ? or on the other side ? or both ?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Joraan
Ill pick one up
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks Kubalik
on both sides under the leds(thats why Im only going to run those about 4 hrs a day) but mostly on the side that had less bubbles
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Joraan
is that what its called "nano filter" I went to petco on line and couldnt find it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode