DIY CO2 Question for a local solution! Help.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Question for a local solution! Help..

Hey guys , i have a 10g tank that i want to start co2 on. I did some research and found a DIY kit (the ghetto kit i call it .. 2L bottle, air hose, check valve.. using 2 cups of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast)...

well it works.. meaning there is co2 exiting the airhose.. i read that the co2 needs to be difused (the DIY states to use a powerhead or airstone which i used).

But i don't feel that the co2 is being difused enough.

It comes out in large bubbles every 3-4 seconds and rise inediatly to the surface of the water.

I don't want to use a powerhead , i just don't want that much water movement in this tank.

What other options can i use to difuse the co2 better (and can i source it locally?)

Thanks in advance for the help

~Jon

Edit: I live in Midtown Manhattan (willing to drive an hour in any direction)

This will also end up being a shrimp tank (once this scorching summer is over) So if anyone has any tips of a good beginner shrimp and advice would be helpful, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
You could try using the wooden airstone. It worked for me in the past. Make sure you are not using a hang-on-back filter, because they could remove your co2 if they are splashing enough..

A good first-time shrimp you should try out as a beginner is Red Cherry Shrimp. They are very hardy when it comes down to water quality, temp, and look great.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some type of wooden airstone will work a little better. Or even cheeper, use a broken off chop stick and stick it into the tubing.

If you spend a little money you can get a ceramic diffuser. They come in many shapes and sizes but all do the same thing. (make small bubbles)

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
You could try using the wooden airstone. It worked for me in the past. Make sure you are not using a hang-on-back filter, because they could remove your co2 if they are splashing enough..

A good first-time shrimp you should try out as a beginner is Red Cherry Shrimp. They are very hardy when it comes down to water quality, temp, and look great.
I have a hang on filter (the whisper)..I run a spunge filter on the inlet because i had some fry in this tank, it reduced the volume of water being taken in. The tank's water level is all the way up to the outlet of the filter. There is zero splashing going on. Sort of a dribble really. lol

And i'll look into the RCS.. I had 2 medium grade CRS before. Had them for about 4 months till the temps went up while i was on vacation. (the temps were steady at 78* with the AC on). But while i was away the AC was off and it was almost 86* when i got home. I assume this is why they died.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 to ceramic from flea bay, chopstick until it arrives

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
Some type of wooden airstone will work a little better. Or even cheeper, use a broken off chop stick and stick it into the tubing.

If you spend a little money you can get a ceramic diffuser. They come in many shapes and sizes but all do the same thing. (make small bubbles)
Thanks.. This is a DIY. But i'd like to do it the right way.

So i'll look into the Ceramic diffuser.

Any local places in NYC that i can get it from?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
off topic but where can i get yeast in manhattan? been meaning to do a DIY CO2 system...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtu2004 View Post
off topic but where can i get yeast in manhattan? been meaning to do a DIY CO2 system...
I got it at my local grocery store (Food Emporium). It's in the spice isle
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtu2004 View Post
i used to buy it in big bricks for real cheap @ sams club, but im sure other warehouse stores have the same thing. i think they were 2 1lb bricks for under 10 bux.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
any supermarket should have... just go to the flour section... they should have bakers yeast in hand...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsno View Post
any supermarket should have... just go to the flour section... they should have bakers yeast in hand...
yep..DRY ACTIVE!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
cool, thanks guys
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I don't know about retail stores, but there's a seller out of Brooklyn on Evilbay called etech or something like that. I've bought a few CO2 accessories from them (diffusers and bubble counters), and shipping has been pretty fast. I expect it'll be even faster for you. If you do buy a glass/ceramic diffuser for DIY, there's *no guarantee* that it will work. As in, you may or may not be able to create enough pressure to push CO2 through the diffuser before the airline pops out of one of your fittings. But, if you buy a nano diffuser, it will *probably* work for you. Don't buy anything bigger than that.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (363/100%)
Guys try to find Turkish yeast and you will see what the thing will do to your plant. Kinda hard to find here and there..
You can use hagen mini filter that you can buy in petco under $10 and use as diffuser.Attach it some more at the back of the tank to lower the better......Watr movement in planted tank is always a ++.

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I don't know about retail stores, but there's a seller out of Brooklyn on Evilbay called etech or something like that. I've bought a few CO2 accessories from them (diffusers and bubble counters), and shipping has been pretty fast. I expect it'll be even faster for you. If you do buy a glass/ceramic diffuser for DIY, there's *no guarantee* that it will work. As in, you may or may not be able to create enough pressure to push CO2 through the diffuser before the airline pops out of one of your fittings. But, if you buy a nano diffuser, it will *probably* work for you. Don't buy anything bigger than that.
ahhh, good stuff. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode