• 1 Post By Mr. Limpet
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Lanaquarium

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Neons/cardinals - tank bred in NYC

Does anyone in NYC - any borough - breed neon or cardinal tetras?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would recommend contacting your local aquarium society. If members are not breeding them themselves they will most likely know someone in vicinity that is.
Blue Ridge Reef and Deanna like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I looked that up but it seemed more complicated to contact than a performance dog breeder

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very few hobbyists breed either neons or cardinals. Since you're in NYC your tap water is perfect for both species; you shouldn't have any problems with wild caught cardinals or farm raised neons. I wouldn't add them to a tank that hasn't been established for at least 6 months, though.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaquarium View Post
I looked that up but it seemed more complicated to contact than a performance dog breeder

??

This is the link and the email contact is on 2 different areas of the page?
https://www.greatercity.net/

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Very few hobbyists breed either neons or cardinals. Since you're in NYC your tap water is perfect for both species; you shouldn't have any problems with wild caught cardinals or farm raised neons. I wouldn't add them to a tank that hasn't been established for at least 6 months, though.
We have 1 person in our aquarium society that has. That is all he breeds is tetras.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv
This is the link and the email contact is on 2 different areas of the page?
https://www.greatercity.net/
Oooh! That’s really helpful actually! I’ve not come across this in my googling.

See? This is why you need a sound board for people with experience 🙂

I’m going to bookmark that.

However, in a shocking turn around fish we got from LFS stopped dying and now seem to be doing fabulously, 3 weeks after we got them and looking vibrant and always hungry lol

But obviously always really great to have available resources!

Thank you!!!
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 11:57 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
??
We have 1 person in our aquarium society that has. That is all he breeds is tetras.
I agree with @MrLimpet, he is absolutely correct but just wanted to point out that I've bred scores of neons (and cardinals albeit less successfully) and I'm one guy in the outskirts of Asheville, NC who happens to spend time on this message board. People are out there doing things, just aren't always where you are looking on the internet. But understand that with these species, it was like with breeding Boraras -even if you got $10 per fish you lost money and spent many hours of time, highs and lows, successes and failure, gallons of brine shrimp water in your mouth, etc.. Anyone breeding common tetras and such is doing it for love of the animals, and I implore folks to buy from them for what they are asking or at least not lowball them if it ever comes up. I PROMISE they aren't ripping you off because they charge more than they cost at PetCo. And especially if you share the same source water, the difference between the fish breeders are offering and what your local fish store sells (and I've owned one of those too), is night and day. I often say about imported rams and Apistos from your LFS that you aren't buying the fish themselves, you are buying the strain. You just need to keep those alive long enough to get babies that were born into your water, and they will be entirely different fish in terms of hardiness and vigor in your aquarium. I realize that breeding fish isn't for everyone, but you have to be willing to pay for hauling those buckets and rinsing those sponges every single day if someone else is doing it. Not trying to get on a soapbox here, I just can't stress it enough as a former hobby breeder and LFS owner that home bred stuff is usually worth what they are asking.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am a person getting back in the hobby.
I’ve never been successful at keeping neons or cardinals in the past.... they all seemed to go quick.

But right now I feel like my natural water is so great for them. It would be hard for me to mess it up.

Neons being so poorly treated overall is common knowledge so I thought I’d try cardinals also. But then, after I purchased some, I read about the horrible conditions they get collected in.

But then I ALSO read about Project Piaba. Which sounds pretty cool and beneficial. I’ve looked and there are a few stores reasonably near me that participate

The more you know, I guess

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode