Help a rookie.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help a rookie....

Just order a Fluval Flora as a starter tank. Haven't had a tank in many, many years. Is there a shop in lower Westchester that you guys recommend to start with for plants and rocks/wood or should I use sites on the internet (The Driftwood Store looks like they have some nice things)? As an aside, any good, basic primers to help get me started? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
First off, I'm sorry I can't help you with a local LFS. But to answer your other questions:

Rocks are heavy, and wood is bulky, so you're best off avoiding shipping if possible. You can find both here in the swap n shop forum if you're very picky, you can order driftwood from an online site with flat rate shipping (big al's or foster and smith) if you're less picky, and you can simply cruise around your backyard or the rest of town to find something (free) that strikes your fancy.

But as far as plants go, the Swap n Shop forum here will be by far your best bet. You'll have a very hard time finding cheaper plants at a LFS, and it's very unlikely that the LFS will have much that nears the quality of plants you can find here. Good luck, and welcome to TPT!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (344/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards
Welcome to the hobby! I'm located on Long Island and would be happy to help!

If you're looking for plants in New York, I'm your man. Just let me know what you want, or I'll give you a list of what I have available.

You might want to go to a local rock shop and find some stone, it would be alot cheaper for you as well.

A guy on the forum named plantbrain (Tom Barr) has excellent manzanita branches for sale. Check out his thread, excellent guy https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...8th-batch.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Welcome to TPT.
I buy most of my plants here in the SnS. Price is cheap and quality is tops.
There are not a lot of good LFS within the vicinity.
Mostly petco and petland discounts are what you can see around.
You can find some neat rocks and driftwood in petland discounts.
As for online sites, Big al's and Drs.f&s are good sites if you are getting a lot of stuff to maximize shipping.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. Hopefully tank is coming next week and I'll be back to you for suggestions.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (344/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards
Where did you get the tank from?

-Gordon
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ordered it through Big Apple Pet Supply - got it in two days with regular shipping. Tank looks nice and quality is good (although background looked a bit cheap so I removed it). Please let me know what plants you have available - looking for some grasses for the front and would like some pennywort. Not too fussy though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
As Jeff stated, the SnS is a great place to start. Although you pay for the shipping, you get better quality plants and almost always get more than you would have at the LFS. I bought some malaysian driftwood pieces from an LFS in Chinatown. 10 bucks for fairly large pieces. My favorite DW piece, however, was from thedriftwoodstore. I still have not found a good place locally for rocks. Its been suggested to hit up any streams or rivers north of the city (you can't beat free).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode