Trouble Carrying CO2 Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trouble Carrying CO2 Tank?

I am getting into CO2 and will buy a 5pound tank online and bring the empty cylinder down to Mckinney welding on 52nd to do a swap (buying an empty tank online and swapping is $25 cheaper than just buying a filled cylinder from the welding shop).

I will need to bring the CO2 tank on the subway and/or bus and walk with it. Has anyone ever had trouble with this? It's crazy times so I want to not freak people out and avoid any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not a subway rider but I might think there would be little to no problem. Oxygen is a far more dangerous compressed gas and folks surely do take them along when they need them for breathing? Do you see folks dragging the breathing bottles on the lines you use? Would assume, yes, but then I may be wrong. Point may be that one is considered vital while the other not but the O2 does have lots more fire hazard while CO2 is just the stuff we breathe out?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi SchrutesFish,

Ask the welding shop if they have a CO2 sticker that they can put on the cylinder.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
See if it fits in a small carry-on luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Not a subway rider but I might think there would be little to no problem. Oxygen is a far more dangerous compressed gas and folks surely do take them along when they need them for breathing? Do you see folks dragging the breathing bottles on the lines you use? Would assume, yes, but then I may be wrong. Point may be that one is considered vital while the other not but the O2 does have lots more fire hazard while CO2 is just the stuff we breathe out?
Not so much concerned about the hazard of carrying gas. I'm more concerned about the fear/paranoia that might be generated.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower

I think that if people can walk about with pet goats in their backpacks or fishtank helmets I do not think you will have issues with putting a 5lb tank in a backpack.

https://img.putmelike.com/2017/12/a-...a-backpack.jpg

Photobucket
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Maybe some stickers from fish shops or some taped on decals to show folks you are there for fish and not to carry out a terror attack? Figuring the way folks think is way beyond me at this point!
Just the fact that even the folks here on the forum are more concerned about having a CO2 tank in the room than they are about their grandmother dragging O2 around on a cart, is enough to baffle me. Co2 can be cold enough to burn up, it can get so thick we can't breathe, etc., etc, but the O2 can create such a raging fire that most of us don't want to even think about it!
Fear is not in the facts but the perception of facts, which is what see much of the time!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrutesFish View Post
Not so much concerned about the hazard of carrying gas. I'm more concerned about the fear/paranoia that might be generated.
Yes, I agree, especially with the recent incidents in NYC. Just conceal it in something, why ask for trouble.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Yes, I agree, especially with the recent incidents in NYC. Just conceal it in something, why ask for trouble.
Concealing it might make it worse if someone notices it. Just slap a bunch of aquarium stickers on it and carry it on a dolly or something in the open so people know you're transporting something.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Concealing it might make it worse if someone notices it. Just slap a bunch of aquarium stickers on it and carry it on a dolly or something in the open so people know you're transporting something.

Then it's not concealed.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Then it's not concealed.
"Hey, why is that guy's backpack in the shape of a large cylinder and why does it make a clanging noise every time it bumps into something? Also why is it much heavier than it should be?" Chances are nothing would actually happen but people are very paranoid these days.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Just don't look like this guy, or ask folks to call coin flips...

I wouldn't waste stickers, since you'll lose them when you turn it in for the next tank. -Unless the shop does refills and not swaps.
Out in the open (unless you look paranoid) and people will think you're just delivering O2 to an elderly relative, have a keg, or something innocent. Either way, you should be fine. I won't go out of my way to cause trouble, but if folks want to get themselves upset by something innocent I'm doing, I let them. It's on them, you're doing nothing wrong

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:25 PM

Wink

There's a CO2 calculator that might help

The
and aquascaping fanatic
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
"Hey, why is that guy's backpack in the shape of a large cylinder and why does it make a clanging noise every time it bumps into something? Also why is it much heavier than it should be?" Chances are nothing would actually happen but people are very paranoid these days.
Do you take the subways in NYC? Why would it make any noise? You need to know how to pack, but that was a given.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Do you take the subways in NYC? Why would it make any noise? You need to know how to pack, but that was a given.
Accidentally banging it into one of the many metal objects like handrails, handholds, doors, other people, etc. Stuffing it with packing material would work but then it looks even more like a suspicious backpack. There is no reason why carrying it in the open is more suspicious than trying to conceal it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode