Anyone ever have trouble with having tanks in apartment? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By SchrutesFish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone ever have trouble with having tanks in apartment?

Hi

I'm new to this hobby and recently moved into a NYC apartment about a year ago. There is a no pet clause in our lease but I spoke with the landlord over the phone and got the okay to have a aquarium in my apartment. It's on the ground floor as well so I'm sure it's no biggy as far as weight goes. In addition, it's a two 20 gallons and a 3 gallon tank and 43 gallons doesnt seem too bad compared to larger ones.

I'm concerned about moving. How hard was it to get an apartment with a tank? Did you have to look specifically for no pet places or were your landlords okay with it?

Also, how hard was it to move? One of my 20 gallons is not set up and I'm wondering if it's worth setting up if having an additional tank will cause issues with getting a new place and if moving it will be a pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrutesFish View Post
Hi

I'm new to this hobby and recently moved into a NYC apartment about a year ago. There is a no pet clause in our lease but I spoke with the landlord over the phone and got the okay to have a aquarium in my apartment. It's on the ground floor as well so I'm sure it's no biggy as far as weight goes. In addition, it's a two 20 gallons and a 3 gallon tank and 43 gallons doesnt seem too bad compared to larger ones.

I'm concerned about moving. How hard was it to get an apartment with a tank? Did you have to look specifically for no pet places or were your landlords okay with it?

Also, how hard was it to move? One of my 20 gallons is not set up and I'm wondering if it's worth setting up if having an additional tank will cause issues with getting a new place and if moving it will be a pain.
I don't live in apartment, but rather in an old school townhouse on the 3rd floor. I have 4 tanks in my room: 3g, 5g, 9.3g, and 48g. My lease explicitly says no pets but I got an aquarium anyway without telling my landlord. They ended up seeing it when they came to visit, and they were totally fine with it and actually impressed lol. Had they made a fuss about it, my argument would have been it's just a container of water. What's the difference between an aquarium versus me putting water in a giant glass vase and threw some fish inside? My neighbor a few houses down saw me carry my 5lb and 2.5lb CO2 tank into my house and because he dislikes my landlord, he complained to him saying one of his tenants (me) was carrying some containers of gas into the house and said that I was going to do some crazy science experiments or something. My landlord asked me what they were for and I told him it's for my aquarium and he was like oh just wanted to make sure you weren't doing anything crazy.

Moving the aquariums and equipment wasn't difficult, except for the 48g. I had to get one of my roommates to help me bring it up the stairs. The total weight is about 100lbs so can easily be carried by two adults. The stand weighed even less. Everything else I brought upstairs myself. I will be moving out my place at the end of June but I plan on taking down the 48g when the time comes because I want to set it up fresh anyway when I get a new place. The other tanks I'll just remove the livestock and drain the water down, cover it with some plastic wrap and carry it downstairs myself.

Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:13 PM

Never heard of issues with aquariums in NYC. Just make sure you dont damage any wood floors with spills/splashes from the aquarium.

The no pets policies are usually meant to reduce noise in the building.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrutesFish View Post
Hi

just becareful for big water spills. water can get between cracks and soak into material causing damage and mold and etc. have towels handy and be careful transferring water.

i dreaded the day i had to eventually move my tank from one home to another home. I have a 9 gallon and i was able to drain the water and one man carry the tank to my car. anything larger than a 10 gallon will be a careful two man job to move.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
When I had an apartment, many years ago, they stated explicitly in their no pets policy that aquariums were OK. Even the super had several.

RAOK Club #55
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

I've no idea what the rules are in different countries butI'd guess it's a good idea to make sure your home insurance covers water damage from broken aquariums, regardless of where you live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@OhNo123 Your story about the CO2 gave me a good laugh. Thanks.

My super saw my tank but didn't say anything either. But, I have the feeling the guy hates his job and doesn't give a damn about what goes on in the building. He probably wouldn't say anything if he saw a bobcat.
OhNo123 and OhNo123 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Anyone ever have trouble with having tanks in apartment?

Iíve moved aquariums before. Itís no biggie as long as you take the water out!! Lol... but seriously. Itís a good excuse to rescape. Put fish and plants in buckets with lids. Move tank with blankets and transport in your car if you can. If you want to keep the scape in tact. Remove all water cover it with Saran wrap to keep humidity levels up during move. Then do the blanket thing....just have to be more careful with it.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
As others have noted, water spills are going to be your biggest concern... as long as anyone below you doesnít complain of a leaking ceiling, youíll be fine.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
On a positive note, really great tap water in NYC.

5 gallon buckets are great for tank moving. Use one for substrate, one for flora (with bags to separate out species), and one (or more) for fauna.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode