NYC Queens - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
NYC Queens

Hi everyone,

So I'm having a bit of an issue here. I'm trying to purchase some freshwater fish and shrimps but it seems to be more difficult than I thought. My LFS is a disaster, Pet Shop Plus, all the other surrounding places are also terrible. I've googled and researched and found that a lot of people sing high praises of Pacific Aquariums and Plants Inc in the Lower East Side but after snooping around I found several fish had ich and the staff appeared very nonchalant about it.
A member of our community recommend Rachel O'leary but the communication takes forever back to back and I'm getting a little impatient. Waiting 2 weeks for a response is a little too long, it may be my NYC patience that probably has me going bonkers. Anyways, can anyone recommend their favorite shopping locations whether it be an actual store, person or website. I don't want to buy sick fish or give money to people who really don't care about the hobby and are just interested in profits which is what most of the pet stores I have visited seem to be. Thanks guys.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Fishtown USA in Flushing is pretty nice.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fishtown USA, any bad experiences or all positive?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fishtown USA is well above in terms of selection. They usually have a good selection of freshwater fish/plants. Should be bicycle ride from elmhurst. I would definitely check it out.

One thing I've found at most Aquarium stores is the customer service, attitude is not great. Must be the nature of the business. Unless your in there for a huge customer setup installed at your home/business with monthly service (which is how most of these stores survive) they don't get excited.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxreliant1864 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I'm having a bit of an issue here. I'm trying to purchase some freshwater fish and shrimps but it seems to be more difficult than I thought. My LFS is a disaster, Pet Shop Plus, all the other surrounding places are also terrible. I've googled and researched and found that a lot of people sing high praises of Pacific Aquariums and Plants Inc in the Lower East Side but after snooping around I found several fish had ich and the staff appeared very nonchalant about it.
A member of our community recommend Rachel O'leary but the communication takes forever back to back and I'm getting a little impatient. Waiting 2 weeks for a response is a little too long, it may be my NYC patience that probably has me going bonkers. Anyways, can anyone recommend their favorite shopping locations whether it be an actual store, person or website. I don't want to buy sick fish or give money to people who really don't care about the hobby and are just interested in profits which is what most of the pet stores I have visited seem to be. Thanks guys.

Adam
Rachel O'leary is great, however if she's traveling yes the communication will have some delay but i have bought fish from her and shes one of the best online. also you can check Manhattan aquariums in the city they pretty good too
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have no doubt, I've been watching her channel.
ejendro and ejendro like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Algae Grower

Monster Aquarium in Flushing is by far my favorite fish store in the city, followed by Pacific Aquarium in Manhattan. You can't go wrong with either of those. If you go to Monster, be sure to go downstairs and check out the Discus

EDIT: To address your point about Pacific Aquarium, I have had ZERO issues with buying livestock there over the last couple years. There may have been some isolated cases but in general they are top notch.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

What kind of fish are you looking for? Different online sites specialize in different species; I've had a great experience with a couple of places. I agree with houseofcards, most fish store employees aren't that interested unless you are buying something large, especially an aquarium that they are going to set up and maintain. I know that you probably aren't interested in driving to Rockland County, but Pets Place II on Rte 59 in Nanuet is quite good. They have a good selection which changes every few weeks depending on what the owner feels like picking up and if they suspect that there is something wrong with a fish, they will not sell you anything from that tank. But, I wouldn't go there for plants. I have gotten all my plants through mail order and been mostly satisfied.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you want to head out east from the city the two places I've found over the years with the best selection are Aquahut in Coram and Country Critters in Patchogue. Aquahut is nothing fancy but a ton of fish. Country Critters from the name sells many types of pets, but they have a huge fish room in the back.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxreliant1864 View Post
Hi everyone,

Adam
If you have little patience this may not be the hobby for you.
ejendro and ejendro like this.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Rachel is excellent. Please have some patience; she has been travelling all over the country lately, but doing her best to catch up. I will be getting fish from her.

Monster Aquarium is local to you and excellent.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
If you have little patience this may not be the hobby for you.
This hobby brings patience and calmness. Exactly the hobby for me.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm going to throw Rachel O'Leary in as well.
She won't be back and shipping for a week and a half. But I would send her a good picture of your tank, then get her suggestion as to what fish to use. She's a respected fish behaviorlist. I use her advice for all my competition tanks and professional layouts.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I did finally get in contact with Rachel. She has been quite busy but after over a month of waiting I have finally got my order in.

Have anyone bought any fish from livesquaria, just wondering about people's experiences?

Thanks again.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Algae Grower

I love ordering fishes from Rachel. I also tried to support Pacific whenever I could too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode