Anyone in Brooklyn (Mentor) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Anyone in Brooklyn (Mentor)

Hey - I am about to start my first planted tank. I would love if someone in Brooklyn (near Carroll Gardens) would like to "mentor" me.

I have been reading and reading and reading some more. I have it pretty well planned out but could use some real guidance.

I have a 40B
Pressurized C02 (Milwaukee Reg - sorry! - Drop Checker - C02 tubing - Brass Check Valve - 5# Tank)
Rex Grigg Reactor
2X39 T5H0 Lights (6700 and 10000)
Eheim 2217 and Eheim Installation Kit 1 and 2
Hydor ETH 200W Inline Heater
60 lbs Eco Complete New
7 lbs Fluorite
And a ton of other supplies like API Master Test Kit, GH/KH tests, , Puregin Prime- etc supplies

I have about 40 lbs of Ryuoh Stone
Would like to plant HC only (Maybe a compliment plant or two near stones - but very simple)
Stocking ideas either 30 Green Neon Tetras or Rummynose - 3 True SAE
Lots of CRS and or RCS and a few nice snails...

Anyone want to take me under their wing????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'm in park slope on 5th and 6th st. I wouldn't call myself a guru or mentor by any means, but I do have a very similar setup (38g) and would be happy to talk about anything. First off, if you're really into HC, I strongly recommend looking into the 'dry start method'

talk to you later
travis
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm down in bayridge but I am nowhere near a master. However, if you do have any questions that I have experience with; I'd be more than happy to relay it to you. I actually did a group order with Max and ordered some HC so I will see how it grows. I unfortunately cannot do a dry start method but I hear that is THE way to get a jump start on the HC.

BTW, you're very well geared for a beginning planter!!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

100% going to start dry.

I appreciate it. I am "well geared" because I have been reading and researching. But I have been stuck for months reading because when I try and do certain things, I just do not "get it". For instance, I own an Eheim 2217 but it take me 20 times to prime it because I have no clue what I am supposed to do or why it worked. Its frustrating practicing with buckets in the bathtub. I have yet to try priming it with the reactor (oh boy). MY fear is I wont set this up correctly and the 5 floors below me will know I have no clue when 40 gallons come rushing through the ceiling.

I truly am at the point where I need some other help. Not reading the boards, but buying someone dinner a few times at my place and have them walk me through the basics!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It'll be fine, don't drive yourself too crazy. The key to priming the eheims is the water pressure from the elevation from the tank to the filter on the floor. Therefore, the practice probably won't help you. Feel free to come over next sunday/monday(23/24) when i clean my filter, water change and hook it back up to see how easy it really is. Have you ordered a 'python' yet?
when are you going to start planting? I don't know if you'll need the flourite with that much eco-complete, unless you want to play with sloping. If you do use it, i'd start flourite on the bottom. I think eco-complete is much easier to plant small in and for the groundcover to spread.
Fire away if you have other specific questions, someone is sure to answer them!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

also, I have an extra swagelok metering valve if you want to replace the needle valve on your milwaukee set-up, although, I've never actually seen exactly how those are set up
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Max - sending you a pm
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrades View Post
100% going to start dry.

I appreciate it. I am "well geared" because I have been reading and researching. But I have been stuck for months reading because when I try and do certain things, I just do not "get it". For instance, I own an Eheim 2217 but it take me 20 times to prime it because I have no clue what I am supposed to do or why it worked. Its frustrating practicing with buckets in the bathtub. I have yet to try priming it with the reactor (oh boy). MY fear is I wont set this up correctly and the 5 floors below me will know I have no clue when 40 gallons come rushing through the ceiling.

I truly am at the point where I need some other help. Not reading the boards, but buying someone dinner a few times at my place and have them walk me through the basics!
Priming Eheim:

1. fill the filter to the top before bringing it to the aquarium.
2. place the input and output tubes into the filled aquarium.
3. start a syphon from the input hose then close the quick release valve and attach it to the filter (now gravity is just waiting for the valve to open to start the syphon into the filter)
4. start a syphon from output hose and close the quick release valve and attach it to the filter.
5. turn the filter on and open input valve then output valve.

since you've already got the syphon started and the filter pre filled there's little room for an air pocket to heel the syphon at start up. works for me everytime. just have the hoses filled with water before turning on the filter. if you don't have the quick releases just go get them, life is that much easier with'em. GL

actually another reason for this style, if you buy some extra quick release connectors and some hose you can attach a connector to the new hose and use the filter to do water changes. i have a giant tupperware container next to my tank, the day before my water change i fill it with 15gallons of water, let it sit for 24hrs to evap. chorine (better then adding chemicals IMO) and the next day i switch the input hose from the tank to the hose in the tupperware and the filter's suction is diverted to the tupperware filled with fresh water.

Last edited by almightyshux; 05-14-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: another idea:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My 2 cents:
Very first time-totally dry lines and filter.
Filter off. Connect all hoses and open all valves. Remove the spraybar from the 'out' hose. Give the 'out' hose a strong suck(if tank water is involved, a sip of beer before and after is advisable) You'll hear bubbles in the canister. When the canister is full, switch it on.
After filter cleanings or other disconnects, while hoses are full of water:
Attach all hoses with filter off and disconnects 'off' Open 'in' disconnect followed by 'out' disconnect. Wait for bubbles to stop. Switch filter on. Bubbles may continue from spraybar for 5 min or so.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max chavez View Post
My 2 cents:
Very first time-totally dry lines and filter.
Filter off. Connect all hoses and open all valves. Remove the spraybar from the 'out' hose. Give the 'out' hose a strong suck(if tank water is involved, a sip of beer before and after is advisable) You'll hear bubbles in the canister. When the canister is full, switch it on.
After filter cleanings or other disconnects, while hoses are full of water:
Attach all hoses with filter off and disconnects 'off' Open 'in' disconnect followed by 'out' disconnect. Wait for bubbles to stop. Switch filter on. Bubbles may continue from spraybar for 5 min or so.

duh of course, why would i fill up the filter first....let the syphon do it! nice.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

All right... Well I have started dry. This way I wont have to deal with the filter for the next month and half!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (362/100%)
Man! you haven't started your tank Yet! Its been a while Dude.....

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ugh!! My dry start melted. Almost 2 months down the drain. UGH!!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am all filled up... but still having a hard time with priming the filter. I ended up with the 2075 so no quick disconnects...

I have been at it for a few hours... dry, wet, dry floor, wet floor and a few mouthfuls of water!
I don't "get it"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode