Ryuoh Stones in NYC - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ryuoh Stones in NYC

Anybody here in New York City know of a place where one could pick up Ryuoh Stone or Seiryu Stone?

Best,

-el gordo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
forget about LPS(mom and pop or big chains), the closest thing I've come across was some lace rocks in Pacific on Delancy. I too have been rock hunting around town with no success. Might check out the floral shops on W. 28th St. today, there might be a bonsai(landscaping) supply store somewhere where they "might" carry some stones similar to what you(and I) are looking for.

Treasure your ears and they'll serve you well...
my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

nothing there, the closest thing to an "aquascapable" piece was some 6-8 pound boulders looking light gray round stones(with a $15 price tag).

my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I went to Pacific on Delancey today and walked around Chinatown...went to Pearl on Broadway and Broome as recommended by a LFS in chinatown, but nothing. I really like Pacific in general because the guys that work there are super nice. They had a lot of petrified wood, some stuff that looked like ryuoh stone but not entirely. Some of the petrified wood looked cool, but the pieces were too huge. I've been trying to find a bosai store in New York but to no avail. It's looking like the best bet would be to get them online...maybe from joebonsai.com or something. It sucks cause you want to look at the rocks before you buy them. I feel like there's got to be at least one sneaky store in New York City that has the rocks that we are looking for...there's just got to be right? I spent a lot of time walking around Chinatown....saw some small rocks on Bonsai trees at some florists but would have to buy the tree for the rocks......and yup, the flower district near 23rd had zip to nada when I went there too...come on new york city...take me to the rocks

AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

a few years back i picked up what looked like Ryuoh stone at this little bonsai store...

i've been google "street-viewing" looking for it...

i believe it is on the north side of Walker St just a few stores west of Centre Street...they always had a cardboard box on the sidewalk out front with the rocks....

good luck
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
a few years back i picked up what looked like Ryuoh stone at this little bonsai store...

i've been google "street-viewing" looking for it...

i believe it is on the north side of Walker St just a few stores west of Centre Street...they always had a cardboard box on the sidewalk out front with the rocks....

good luck
Goggle map street viewing for NYC has a lot of discrepancies. I was street viewing the floral district on 27th and it was showing 32nd(I know it because I pass by that spot daily to pick up my daughter from school).

my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's unbelievable that we can't find any decent aquascapable stones in NYC even when we NY'ers are willing to bend over and get ripped off and over pay for things. Even google can't find it. So guys I propose something that we can all contribute since it's our common "obsession" if you want to call it.

How about we all take a chunk of Manhattan that we normally venture to and maybe check out a few blocks further than normal and find this miracle "garden supply/bonsai" shop where amazing stones are sold for cheap(...who am I kidding..cheap...). We can post our findings here so the limited(but still large) gang of NYC hobbyist can all storm this spot and wipe them clean in the ny fashion just like a 50% sale at old navy.

what do you think. I can take midtown/lower eastside as well as Chinatown.

my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

sounds good. I live in queens, maybe I can check around woodside, sunnyside, Long Island City...

AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
sounds good. I live in queens, maybe I can check around woodside, sunnyside, Long Island City...
cool, I would if I could checkout that Home Depot's on Northern Blvd(or Queens Blvd. I forgot), the one next to a Chuky Cheese/Guitar Center. People do have backyards in Queens so the store might carry landscaping stuff.

my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

for people with cars

once ago I got lost on the other side of GW Bridge... Fort Lee NJ is a bitch to navigate, I came across a huge landscaping/gardening center right before I found the entrance back on the Garden State Pkwy....or NJ Turpike??? there's a reason I don't drive to NJ too often.

my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
cool, I would if I could checkout that Home Depot's on Northern Blvd(or Queens Blvd. I forgot), the one next to a Chuky Cheese/Guitar Center. People do have backyards in Queens so the store might carry landscaping stuff.
I've been to that Home Depot many times. Never on a quest for rocks though. Next time I'm near there (probably soon because I live so close) I'll pop my head in.

AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Home depot doesn't have anything good. Last month i went to 9 different Landscape Nurseries and found nothing good! I went to 4 Bonsai Nurseries and stores and found similar stones but they had glue on them and you would have to buy the entire Bonsai Scape. We need to just make one massive order or try to convince someone to sell this stuff at their stores. We can't even get decent rimless tanks. Fish Town USA now sells rimless but they are ugly and expensive.

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
Home depot doesn't have anything good. Last month i went to 9 different Landscape Nurseries and found nothing good! I went to 4 Bonsai Nurseries and stores and found similar stones but they had glue on them and you would have to buy the entire Bonsai Scape. We need to just make one massive order or try to convince someone to sell this stuff at their stores. We can't even get decent rimless tanks. Fish Town USA now sells rimless but they are ugly and expensive.

so sad and so true.

I saw a rimless (probably a 75g) with pre drilled holes(probably a custom order), and it's ugly. They also got some new cylinders, cubes(vase type, not siliconed together), I didn't bother asking about the price.

about rimless, perhaps glass and pot shops for home deco/floral is probably going to be the best bet.

my 55 gallon discus tank

my new 20H gallon
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
It's crazy right. You'd think you'd be able to find something here in NYC. I'd love to pick one store and get them to order these rocks. Maybe Pacific on Delancey.

AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
ive gotten pretty cool with Kevin from Golden Aquarium in elmhurst, Im thinking about trying to convince him to order some rare stuff to sell, cuz this is ridiculous. Im hating on all these people that get all these sick looking rocks .... i cant even find healthy HC, and when i try to find shrimp i can only find ghosts lol this is pathetic. im gunna run in front of an mta bus, sue them and open an ADA Store here lol like in San Fran.

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode