LONG ISLAND: Nassau County, Suffolk County - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LONG ISLAND: Nassau County, Suffolk County

Heyy guys! New to this forum...I figured I'd make a page for the long island area considering I haven't found any. I thought it would be cool to meet other locals and talk fish, plants, accesories, events/conventions, LFS's, etc. I'm personally working on making a discus tank and thought I could meet some breeders and people that sell plants. Feel free to join!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Best LFS I've come across so far is Aqua Hut in Coram. Its a hike for me but the dude treats everyone like family and hooks you up with great deals. The place has incredible selection too!

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower

I'll jump on the wagon, I'm always looking for access to some nice plants, I haven't yet found a LFS that really wowed me with plant selection. The couple near me have really common plants like Swords or Java fern..or non aquatic plants like "purple waffle"

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Glass.Cloud and Glass.Cloud like this.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Caribbean Blue Aquatics in Bay Shore is a pretty big fish store. Wide selection of shrimp and various tanks. I also recommend Pets Warehouse in Carle Place. That place is huuuuuuge. Felt like a neverending store! Both probably way better than the average store and def way better than the big box stores like Petco and PetSmart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Pets Warehouse in Copiague has a nice selection of plants.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Check out NYPT Facebook group... We're growing by the day. Lots of peeps from LI On there.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Check out NYPT Facebook group... We're growing by the day. Lots of peeps from LI On there.
It says the group is closed

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutkos View Post
I'll jump on the wagon, I'm always looking for access to some nice plants, I haven't yet found a LFS that really wowed me with plant selection. The couple near me have really common plants like Swords or Java fern..or non aquatic plants like "purple waffle"

Welcome man!!

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just to let you know I'm very new to plants...every time I've bought them they always seem to melt and never recuperate...probably bc I've never added nutes. Any one have any recommendations for basic nutes to have for success or maybe diy version. Not trying to break the bank here cuz i know this can get expensive

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
Caribbean Blue Aquatics in Bay Shore is a pretty big fish store. Wide selection of shrimp and various tanks. I also recommend Pets Warehouse in Carle Place. That place is huuuuuuge. Felt like a neverending store! Both probably way better than the average store and def way better than the big box stores like Petco and PetSmart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
Pets Warehouse in Copiague has a nice selection of plants.

Both great stores as is the pets warehouse in copiague and also BTJs Jungle in Bay Shore (think its bayshore anyway....on the south service rd to sunrise hwy a bit west of caribean blue).

@Glass.Cloud: where are you located and what are your plans for a discus tank? Not too many local breeders left but there is plenty of good info (to include people selling fish) over on the simplydiscus.com forums. I've picked up some juvenile discus from a guy out in Ridge a while back; but last I heard his breeding program hit a brick wall and he didnt have much to offer. The for sale forums on simply will often have local people selling off their stock of high quality stuff at decent prices though. I'd recommend that over purchasing discus from any of the LFS on or near the island!

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass.Cloud View Post
Just to let you know I'm very new to plants...every time I've bought them they always seem to melt and never recuperate...probably bc I've never added nutes. Any one have any recommendations for basic nutes to have for success or maybe diy version. Not trying to break the bank here cuz i know this can get expensive

Depending on your lighting and whether you're adding co2 and the type of plants you want, there are several ways you could do that. What I would do is look through here and read about low tech setups and high tech setups, both can result in beautiful tanks, low tech just grows much slower. I have a high tech tank and use the "Estimative Index" or EI method of fertilization which I believe is the easiest method, you basically add more nutrients than your plants need which allows them to grow very fast and out compete the algae for food, but I also have moderate lighting and a bottle of co2 injecting into the tank. As for the types of ferts, no matter what method you end up using do diy, you can get potassium nitrate, pure KNO3, at home depot as "spectra brand stump remover" for like 12 bucks, and monopotassium phosphate, KH2PO4, online from hydroponics websites or other planted tank sites for like 15 bucks for 3 lbs, these two ferts supply N, P, and K in sufficient quantities for all but the largest of tanks and are way more than you'll ever need, I took a few teaspoons of them and made solutions and haven't gone back to remake a solution for months I'll probably lose the ferts before I run out...okay I rambled a little, but do some research on which tank type you want and we can point you in the right direction

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Both great stores as is the pets warehouse in copiague and also BTJs Jungle in Bay Shore (think its bayshore anyway....on the south service rd to sunrise hwy a bit west of caribean blue).

@Glass.Cloud: where are you located and what are your plans for a discus tank? Not too many local breeders left but there is plenty of good info (to include people selling fish) over on the simplydiscus.com forums. I've picked up some juvenile discus from a guy out in Ridge a while back; but last I heard his breeding program hit a brick wall and he didnt have much to offer. The for sale forums on simply will often have local people selling off their stock of high quality stuff at decent prices though. I'd recommend that over purchasing discus from any of the LFS on or near the island!
Eyy, I'm actually located in the Massapequa area. I don't really have any plans lol I figured I'd just learn as I go along. I mean i keep my ph at a steady 6.0 and I'm running carbon so I know that's gonna have to come out. Temperature is at 78 right now but I hear that might be a little high for plants. Any recommendations for some plants? Good looking out on the simply discus shoutout...I def gotta scope that out

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutkos View Post
Depending on your lighting and whether you're adding co2 and the type of plants you want, there are several ways you could do that. What I would do is look through here and read about low tech setups and high tech setups, both can result in beautiful tanks, low tech just grows much slower. I have a high tech tank and use the "Estimative Index" or EI method of fertilization which I believe is the easiest method, you basically add more nutrients than your plants need which allows them to grow very fast and out compete the algae for food, but I also have moderate lighting and a bottle of co2 injecting into the tank. As for the types of ferts, no matter what method you end up using do diy, you can get potassium nitrate, pure KNO3, at home depot as "spectra brand stump remover" for like 12 bucks, and monopotassium phosphate, KH2PO4, online from hydroponics websites or other planted tank sites for like 15 bucks for 3 lbs, these two ferts supply N, P, and K in sufficient quantities for all but the largest of tanks and are way more than you'll ever need, I took a few teaspoons of them and made solutions and haven't gone back to remake a solution for months I'll probably lose the ferts before I run out...okay I rambled a little, but do some research on which tank type you want and we can point you in the right direction

You're the [censored][censored][censored][censored]in man...I never thought to check home depot. I was gonna order them off ebay in those shady baggies lol. Right now I'm running a 20 power glo t8. I'm assuming it's low tech. I'm not really trying to upgrade cuz like I said, I don't wanna break the bank lol. I have 20oz paintball co2 canisters and I was watching some vids on youtube on how to convert it for your aquarium. I mean what are the effects of running co2 vs none? You're right tho, I should do some more scoping around

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
You're the [censored][censored][censored][censored]in man...I never thought to check home depot. I was gonna order them off ebay in those shady baggies lol. Right now I'm running a 20 power glo t8. I'm assuming it's low tech. I'm not really trying to upgrade cuz like I said, I don't wanna break the bank lol. I have 20oz paintball co2 canisters and I was watching some vids on youtube on how to convert it for your aquarium. I mean what are the effects of running co2 vs none? You're right tho, I should do some more scoping around

Running CO2 is the single most effective way to have explosive plant growth, of course you should have the ferts and stuff to go along with it, but I'll post two pictures, the first is my main planted tank which is bordering low/medium light but with co2 and ferts, and the second is decent lights and no ferts, you can see the difference....BTW neither of these tanks are going to win any aquascaping awards, but you can see the differing amounts of growth

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
It says the group is closed

It's an open group? Odd. I will ask admin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode