Win's "algae eater" shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Win's "algae eater" shrimp

Does anyone have a definite ID to what they are? I've heard some guesses, but I'm not sure if anyone has gotten a definite ID yet.

They're the ones that are stocked in the tank underneath the Cherries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Most Likely they are Amano shrimp. I know one of our LFS's here in Denver stocks them as "algae eater" shrimp as well.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Definitely not amanos. They have a fairly thick, tannish colored band down their back, much broader than amanos. They also seem to have very dark bodies but not completely solid colored from what I can tell.

I've tried getting pictures of them but none were good enough to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Chimonanthus praecox seeds. PM me.

:

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep, definitely not Amanos.. I haven't been able to get any good shots either.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Perhaps they might be vampire shrimps? http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2620/...28c058a043.jpg

I can't think of anything that would be "broader" than amanos and I haven't been to Pacific in a while.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They're not Vampires either.. I haven't seen Vampires or Amanos at Win for a good while now.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I was inclined to say its some sort of Neocaridina from the body shape, definitely not an Atya.

Did you check for amanos in the front plant tank on the left bottom? Sometimes I see juvies in there.
I'll try to bring better camera next time I go there but who knows when the next time will be.

Free Chimonanthus praecox seeds. PM me.

:
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
It'd be great if you could get a snapshot.

It's always interesting to see what kind of exotic shrimps Pacific, or any other LFS for that matter, carry from time to time.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds kind of like bamboo shrimp (aka wood shrimp) to me. I bought some several weeks ago and since two have molted, they now have dark mottled brown bodies with a tan stripe down the back.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...luccensis.html

Mine have much darker bodies than the one in that picture and I haven't seen any with stripes yet, other than the one down the center of the back. They have done a very good job at cleaning a bunch of algae I had along the substrate, but they don't seem to clean much on the plants and definitely not on the glass since they are filter feeders.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not a Bamboo Shrimp.

While I do appreciate the out-of-towners trying to help, and I do apologize for not having a decent photo for reference, I was hoping that both the popularity of Win and the fact that they've been selling this shrimp for such a long time would get me an answer just by mentioning the name alone. But I'll work on getting a decent shot of them.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/96%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan0 View Post
Does anyone have a definite ID to what they are? I've heard some guesses, but I'm not sure if anyone has gotten a definite ID yet.

They're the ones that are stocked in the tank underneath the Cherries.

Are you looking for amanos?? They have them at a place in brooklyn, Royal Aquaria on 65th street and 8th ave.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, I'm not. Like I stated, I'm just looking for an ID.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I went there yesterday. They looked like colorless RCS. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing, but just my observations. And there weren't too many left, maybe 10 in both tanks.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (362/100%)
Every time I go there I ask old man and he says "Wholesaler don't know the name but are good for Algae"

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xev11 View Post
I went there yesterday. They looked like colorless RCS. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing, but just my observations. And there weren't too many left, maybe 10 in both tanks.
The wild form of the RCS can be colorless at a young and older stage, almost clear at times.

Filstar Pimp #84

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode