The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hello from ABQ!

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DebbyS 
#1 ·
Hi there! I am new to this forum, but I frequent Tetra. I am working on my 30g planted tank, and am looking for some decent plants in the Albuquerque area. Clark's pet emporium is the only place I know of, and my plants are never very nice. I have a single flourescent strip light, use fertz weekly, and am getting a co2 system. My fish are 1 bolivian ram, 4 rummy noses, 6 black neons, 3 von rio tetras, 4 cories, and one lemon drop pleco. Filtration includes: 1 penguin 100 filter, and 1 penguin 150, along with weekly 50% pwc's. Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, nitrate-15ppm, pH 7.6. My fish are doing well, and enjoy the plants.

Plants include java fern
Anubias coffeefolia
Anubias barteri and nana
Amazon sword
Twisted val
Bacopa

I need to find some good plants around here-are there any stores besides Clark's? Some of my plants are of Petsmart origin, and they do well, but there is no variety. Thank you!:fish::fish::fish::fish:

See less See more
#4 ·
Also new to this forum and was really excited to see that there were others from Albuquerque! I have talked to some people at Clark's and they said that they will order specific plants and supplies for me if I want. I like to shop the LFS but just have not been happy with what is in stock. There just isn't a very big market for plants and planted aquarium supplies here.:icon_sad: Maybe we can change that!

Just getting started in really trying to grow and maintain a planted aquarium. I have always had live plants in my tanks over the years and have had some success but nothing like what I see others doing here. I will be getting CO2 soon and am really excited and also a little nervous.:icon_eek:

#6 ·
NM just doesn't seem a place where people are interested in wet green plants.

To think I use to live in Hong Kong but was a kid but didn't know that there was so much interest in fish there. :icon_roll My fish shop was an outdoor stall that used little kerosen lamps to heat the tanks during the winter. :icon_eek: What I would do to go back and see some of the fish sources today!!

#7 ·
I have been pleasantly surprised by the plants at Petsmart, of all places! When I can catch a ride, I sometimes can go to the PS on the north side, and usually I find nothing of interest, but last time (about 2-3 months ago) they had Top Fin plants in cylinders (I know -- ugh!) but they had real aquatic ones, and I picked up a nice anubias nana for about $4. It's doing well so far.

About 4 weeks ago, on a sunny Friday, I took the Central bus up to Eubank and walked north about 3 long blocks to a shopping center with another Petsmart where I have bought plants before. They still had the plants, 4-6 tanks full, and I got some bacopa and a redish temple plant (though I doubt that's what it really was... flat, wide, pointed redish leaves, but pretty). I mentioned how their north end store (near CostCo) had only tube plants but nice ones, and the clerk said her store was going to change over to them, too. I won't mind if they are the same Top Fin variety. I just wish they'd build a store downtown ;) because I understand that store may move to get more parking (which is an astonishing idea, considering how much parking they now have...).

Clark's plants tend to go fast. I've taken them my extra water sprite and one time got a few bucks off a big anubias nana. I'm a bit low on water sprite at the moment, but it grows fast.

My fish stocking is quite low at the moment: two head & tail lights (I'm hoping for them to mate, but she's an independent gal who intimidates the male) and they're in their own 6-gal tank. And in my 10G tank 3 pygmy cories, and a +3" Austrailian rainbow raised from a baby the size of a flea as he came with some ferny floating plant I can't recall the name of at the moment. Currently he's acting shy and needs a new home but I'm not buying him a bigger tank, he'll have to be adopted by a nice fishkeeper who will not mind his attitude. All these fish were acquired (5 of them paid for) from Clark's and when the weather is nicer (at least 70 degrees steadily) for a bus ride, I'll add to my stocking.

Back to work :) Welcome to Albuquerque! Go see the fish at the Aquarium down by the river :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.