post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
LFS: Pet Shanty - Scotch Plains, NJ

Pet Shanty
2507 US Highway 22
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
www.petshanty.com

Pet Shanty. Kind of a weird place. A collection of fish and miscellaneous small animals. Their plants are very hit or miss, but, oh what fish they sell! Obscure varieties of Rasboras and Tetras. Strange Plecos and Cichlids. All kinds of catfish! Pet Shanty is the place for Killifish, bar none. Don't waste your time on the dry goods.

Caveat!! When purchasing fish from Pet Shanty, a quarantine period is a must (as if quarantine was never a must). While they carry an awesome variety of fish, the health of the fish can be spotty, so use your head and best judgment!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
They also have a good selection of various larger rainbow species.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dark and strange place --the name does suit it! But the owners and employees are super friendly and seem to really know their freshwater fish.

Prices are quite reasonable, too.

They also maintain a current online stocklist at http://www.petshanty.com/nss-folder/stocklistcffish/

Most recent highlights included inexpensive tank-raised small Puntius denisonii (Roseline sharks), Espei pencilfish, and green neons for $0.99 each.

Plants are hit or miss (mostly miss), but once in a while you'll see some glosso or riccia. Last time I visited, the owner owner was in the process of upgrading the "display" tank with plant paraphernalia (proper lighting, co2, etc.).

--Rebecca

72g bowfront, 3.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026 & 2213, Pressurized CO2 w/JBJ Regulator & Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller, TurboTwist 12x UV Sterilizer

16g high, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete , Eheim ECCO 2231, Hagen Nutrafin CO2, TurboTwist 3x UV Sterilizer

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Algae Grower

Just started going to this store after reading about it here. Definitely has a pretty good variety of fish and decent prices although they seem to cram waaaay the heck too many fish into one tank. Although I may be spoiled by viewing Absolutely Fish's setups most of the time. First place I was able to find some pygmy cories at so was quite happy about that. =) They also had a ton of red cherry shrimp in a killifish tank so that was nice to see. And they had some strange oto specimens that I've never even heard of or seen before. Employees are very friendly and knowledgeable so that's a plus.

Plants are definitely not as good, mostly potted plants that I saw.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
Plants are definitely not as good, mostly potted plants that I saw.
Go there on a Friday night after 5PM on any given week if you want to see the plants. Yes, mostly potted, some stems, and a few nice aponogeton's every now and then.

Potted's are from Florida Aquatics...

As far as staff, Doug is walking fish and most plant encyclopedia! If you get there and they aren't busy, he is very helpful!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Ahhh, Doug!

Doug is going to be a speaker at March's NJAS meeting. Should be interesting.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Pet Shanty 25% off sale 9/9 - 9/11

Your invited to Steve's 18th's birthday bash Sale friday, saturday and sunday and save 25% off on all aquatic livestock except feeder fish!
First sale in over 5 years!
Store hours:
Monday thru Friday 10:00 am till 9:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am till 7:00 pm
Sunday 10:00 am till 5:00 pm

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

Pet Shanty is great.

The Pet Shanty has the best Apisto and Killie selection I have ever seen. If you hit it right (winter), they will no less than 5 selections of rare apistos and the more common ones too at decent prices.
Their plant selection isnt what it could be, but they are in the process of setting up a section of plant tanks. They also will give you store credits if you bring them plants.
As for Absolutely fish, they are unhelpful at best, have a lousy selection and are atrociously overpriced. I refuse to ever go there again for anything. I would rather shop at Petco.
I am not shilling for Pet Shanty, this is just my personal opinion.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I agree with everything you have said about Pet Shanty! Great shop, great fish, great prices.

However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 229oz
As for Absolutely fish, they are unhelpful at best, have a lousy selection and are atrociously overpriced. I refuse to ever go there again for anything. I would rather shop at Petco.
That is a bit over the top. Prices at Absolutely fish are high, no doubt, but there is no way their selection is lousy. They have a wide variety of fish and the best plant selection in the area. Period. I stopped in this weekend and while the plants were light they still had Blyxa aubertii, Rotala sp. "Nanjenshan", Ammmania, Nesea, Star grass, C. usterania and some nice looking common crypts among some other harder to find plants. All of those things in some lightly stocked tanks. I would hardly call that a lousy selection! Service can be brusk, but there is always a crowd in that shop.

You can spend all the time you want perusing the little plant trough over at Petco for Anachris and Rotala rotundifolia. I'll pay a little more for a great selection of healthy plants.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 229oz
I would rather shop at Petco.
Well, there is a Petco a little way down the road from Ab Fish. Last time I was there, they had some hornwort and quite a few dead fish!

For the best plant selection in the area, you can't beat Absolutely Fish! For uncommon fish at great prices, Pet Shanty is the best!

--Rebecca

72g bowfront, 3.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete, Eheim 2026 & 2213, Pressurized CO2 w/JBJ Regulator & Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller, TurboTwist 12x UV Sterilizer

16g high, 4.6 wpg, 100% Eco-complete , Eheim ECCO 2231, Hagen Nutrafin CO2, TurboTwist 3x UV Sterilizer
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

New Plant only tanks just setup...

I know they were sitting there for a while, but the plant only tanks have water and eco in the bottom and few plants in them and some nice lights over em. They also posted a plant list on the web site.

http://www.petshanty.com/nss-folder/stocklistcffish/

Nothing too spectacular yet, but perhaps some more competition to AF's plant selection coming soon.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
I love Pet Shanty....I bought my 30 gallon tank there and it was only 54 dollars

If you ever want a discount check out their website and click on SPECIALS....you can print a 10% off coupon on a purchase of 50 dollars or more.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

I went here yesterday and wasn't impressed with the plant quality and selection. I did buy some crypts though, and they were more pricey than the same crypts at Absolutely Fish
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
My Gf and I made t he trip again on Saturday and picked up some fish, no plants this trip.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Steve's 18th Birthday Sale at Pet Shanty, Scotch Plains, NJ

Sorry this is a bit late, since it started on Saturday, but if you are in the area, all livestock excluding feeders are on sale, 20% off until tonight.

One notable freshwater fish that just arrived last night - Sidmunthki/Dwarf Loaches - he got about 70 or so of them in, $9.99 each - 20%

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode