Absolutely Fish - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Absolutely Fish

Has anyone been to this store before? Im in NYC but thinking of making a trip to some of the jersey stores.

Do they have a decent healthy selection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Worth the trip. But be for-warned, you won't find anything underpriced. I mean nothing. Years ago, the staff had something of a reputation for being "aloof" (I'm being kind), but they hire a LOT of staff now and most really are pretty cool now.

On your way out, check out The Fish Hut. It's just east of AF on Rt 46. Mostly FW (an oddity these days) and the staff is cool all around. Light on plants usually, but the fish selection is really good and reasonably priced. It's out of my way, but I try to get there every couple of weeks or so.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Both are good places. IMHO Absolutely Fish overall has better selection of everything (fish, plants, food etc.) but The Fish Hut usually has a bigger variety of cichlids. I also highly recommend Fish Town USA (735 NJ-17, Ramsey, NJ) for their selection of plants. Quite often they offer very, very good selection of plants - the best I saw so far in any fish store.
g4search and g4search like this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
Both are good places. IMHO Absolutely Fish overall has better selection of everything (fish, plants, food etc.) but The Fish Hut usually has a bigger variety of cichlids. I also highly recommend Fish Town USA (735 NJ-17, Ramsey, NJ) for their selection of plants. Quite often they offer very, very good selection of plants - the best I saw so far in any fish store.
I second this post in all ways. Fully agree that all stores are worth a visit.

Fish Town USA is on 17 South. Evan gets his plants in towards the end of the week, if I am not confused.

Fish Hut really is mainly cichlids, at least the biggest selection of them I've seen around. Plenty of Apisto's when they get them in. Maybe $40.00 per pair or so.

AF is raising some of their fish in a private fish room in another building elsewhere. They are raising corals too.

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytheplater View Post

AF is raising some of their fish in a private fish room in another building elsewhere. They are raising corals too.
I'm just a bit skeptical about this. I've heard this from the staff and indirectly. I can't see it happening at the store location.

I was there just a few days ago and as I was pulling out of the parking space, there's a fellow pulling styros out of his hatchback. Call me a skeptic, but I think what they are offering as AF-grown is actually purchased from hobbyists in the area. I don't have issues with either really.

Angelo

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I'm just a bit skeptical about this. I've heard this from the staff and indirectly. I can't see it happening at the store location.

I was there just a few days ago and as I was pulling out of the parking space, there's a fellow pulling styros out of his hatchback. Call me a skeptic, but I think what they are offering as AF-grown is actually purchased from hobbyists in the area. I don't have issues with either really.
Angelo, one of our members visited the facility. We were toying with the idea of a club meeting there. It is not fiction. It really does exist. Yes, they do buy/give store credit from hobbyists. I have benefited from this in the past and recently too. You do need to clear it in advance though. Remember, you will not get retail or as much as you could get selling via the want ads on this site.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Angelo, one of our members visited the facility. We were toying with the idea of a club meeting there. It is not fiction. It really does exist. Yes, they do buy/give store credit from hobbyists. I have benefited from this in the past and recently too. You do need to clear it in advance though. Remember, you will not get retail or as much as you could get selling via the want ads on this site.
I forgot to update: I made a trip out to Absolutely Fish this weekend (which was quite an adventure from NYC since I dont have a car).

I have to say that I loved the place. I left with a couple of cories and will be going back this weekend to finish my group of cories.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Glad you went. Guess you took a bus?

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Glad you went. Guess you took a bus?
Actually convinced a sibling that lives in Jersey to drive me...same plan for next weekend.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Check out Fish Town USA too. Usually has a great selection of plants.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGNYC View Post
Actually convinced a sibling that lives in Jersey to drive me...same plan for next weekend.
So how many lunches is all this gonna cost ya?

Bump:
Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware of the wholesale/retail aspect of this and any other business. As a matter of fact, you'll probably see bunch of my angels there right now.

I was just questioning the labeling as "AF-Grown". It's not an issue to me at all, just a point of curiosity as I really can't see where they would have the tank space there to get fish to sellable size; maybe off-site? Like I said, just a point of curiosity.

Angelo

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

I was just questioning the labeling as "AF-Grown". It's not an issue to me at all, just a point of curiosity as I really can't see where they would have the tank space there to get fish to sellable size; maybe off-site? Like I said, just a point of curiosity.
It is off site Angelo. Don't remember how big it is from the description given to me by our member that was there.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It is off site Angelo. Don't remember how big it is from the description given to me by our member that was there.
OK, That makes MUCH more sense.

Angelo

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
So how many lunches is all this gonna cost ya?

Bump:

Oh, I'm well aware of the wholesale/retail aspect of this and any other business. As a matter of fact, you'll probably see bunch of my angels there right now.

Oh only 2 lunches and tolls haha.

The cories are very nice though so I cant complain.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

Hello

Just happened to see this post. I'm the NJAGC member that Jerry is referring to that visited the facility. It is real, it does exist ☺ AF has a saltwater and freshwater breeding program. Stock labeled as AF grown comes from this facility. Its still in the early stages of development and not open to the public. Its part of a large warehouse building and occupies an entire floor.

I visited there for 2 reasons.

1 - As Jerry said we are considering a club meeting at the facility
2 - I keep several cichlid C.A.R.E.S. species from Madagascar and Cameroon. The owner of AF, Pat Donston is a great supporter of conservation. Some of my fish are at the facility and breeding!

Btw, NJAGC members receive a 15% discount at AF and many other LFS.
Boostr and Boostr like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode